Eric's Jack

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
WillClinger

Eric's Jack

Post by WillClinger »

ea42 and Canal Street deserve applause for this:
Eric's Jack
Eric's Jack
How Eric's Jack came about is told in another forum (and more poetically on the back of the box).

Why I am especially grateful to Eric is less interesting, but won't be told unless I tell it here. I've been carrying pocket knives for almost half a century, but I had never owned more than one at a time until two years ago, when I realized the knife I had been carrying for eight years was illegal in the city where I work. That knife had always been a compromise. To replace it with an even shorter blade was more than I could bear, so I set out to replace it with two knives: one for Boston, and a larger knife for more urbane environs.

You're way ahead of me, I'm sure. It didn't take long to settle on a Half Moon Trapper as my usual pocket knife, but I had a hard time finding a knife I liked that would fit within Boston's 2.5-inch limit on blade length (tip to bolster). I went through half a dozen small pocket knives before settling for one that worked well enough.

So I had accumulated a small collection of small knives, most of which I would rarely use.

Then Canal Street released its English Barlow. I bought one to give to a friend who had helped me out and deserved a token of thanks. To my great surprise, I liked that barlow. Its blade length was just under 2.5 inches, so it could be carried in Boston. I thought it was a little too short, a little too wide, too heavy, too rectilinear, and two blades were one more than required, but I liked the knife so much I felt sad giving it away. I bought more barlows for relatives. Some months later, I bought one for myself. It did not disappoint. It's become the knife I usually carry on weekend trips when I might have to go into or pass through Boston.

But I promised myself I'd pounce on a single-blade version if Canal Street ever made one.

Now Canal Street has produced this limited run of Eric's Jack. In genuine stag! I pounced. Eric's Jack has a short bolster, and the blade is 440C stainless instead of 14-4 CrMo. Otherwise it seems to be a noticeably lighter single-blade variant of the barlow, with premium covers.

I like my English Barlow. I really like this Eric's Jack.

Thank you, Eric.
JAMESC41001

Re: Eric's Jack

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Great knife! Eric is the man
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That is a great pattern & a beautiful knife! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Knice knife! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Looks like a handy pattern and is a great looking knife. Any significance to the picks in the blade etch?
steve99f
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

Thanks, guys.
steve99f wrote:Looks like a handy pattern and is a great looking knife. Any significance to the picks in the blade etch?
I don't know, but I assume those tools represent the cutler's art.

Will
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

WillClinger wrote:Thanks, guys.
steve99f wrote:Looks like a handy pattern and is a great looking knife. Any significance to the picks in the blade etch?
I don't know, but I assume those tools represent the cutler's art.

Will

They are rivet hammers, a.k.a. as Cutler's hammers. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I had heard about this one from my Uncle last weekend at a family reunion. He said that Eric had designed this and when I got back home I had to Contact Eric to find out where I could get one. He sent me the link and I ordered mine right away this morning.

Can't wait to get this little gem in my hands!

Thank you Eric!

Tom
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

Got one on the way in a trade!
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
philllll

Post by philllll »

I love my Eric's Jack!
Attachments
erics.jpg
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

My knife, sellers pics. Knife is very cool.
Attachments
IMG_5845_zps0f1b1c47.jpg
IMG_5846_zps32942d91.jpg
IMG_5847_zpsa8142811.jpg
IMG_5848_zps8b736219.jpg
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”