Anything New In Chestnut At The Blade Show?

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
Mr Rick

Anything New In Chestnut At The Blade Show?

Post by Mr Rick »

My collection of Canal Street patterns in reclaimed Chestnut is coming along nicely. Did CSC release anything new in Chestnut at the Blade show? Has CSC released a Congress pattern in Chestnut?
Rick

Always looking for custom knives made in Montana.

AAPK #9213.............and proud of it.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Anything New In Chestnut At The Blade Show?

Post by Chase »

Do you have the Pinch Lock Back and English Barlow yet?

Tom
Mr Rick

Post by Mr Rick »

Chase wrote:Do you have the Pinch Lock Back and English Barlow yet?

Tom
Yes, I think I'm only missing the folding Hunter, the D'Holder Drop Point, and the D'Holder Bowie. They are on the radar. ::tu::
Rick

Mr Rick

Post by Mr Rick »

I think I found my answer on the A, G. Russell website.

"Reclaimed American Chestnut
This knife is part of the final group to be offered in Canal Street Cutlery’s® American Chestnut Collection. The first three knives in the total of ten patterns were introduced in August, 2010 and the second group in October. Those already introduced include the Canittler, Half Moon Pie Trapper, Swell Center Jack, Muskrat, Trailing Point Hunter and D’Holder Drop Point Hunter.

The final four are the Folding Hunter, Moon Pie Trapper, Serpentine Stockman, and D’Holder Hunter Bowie. The American Chestnut used for the handle scales was reclaimed from the Hoover barn located just outside of Hopkinsville, KY. The barn was built around 1920 with Chestnut lumber from the region. Chestnut lumber should have been plentiful at that time because American Chestnut trees, which had been the most dominate species in the Appalachian forest, were dying, being wiped out by blight. The barn served its intended purpose until the late 1970’s by which time it had become unsafe. It was torn down in late 2007 and has been used in various projects including furniture and knife handles.

Each knife is inlaid with the Canal Street Cutlery brass CS shield. All are made in the U.S.A."

I notice the Barlow is not mentioned, so perhaps there are eleven or more patterns. ::shrug::
Rick

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”