Canal Street Set

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
Clark Doc Savage

Canal Street Set

Post by Clark Doc Savage »

I'm thinking of buying a Canal Street set. A D'Holder with a half moon trapper. I had read the earlier Canal Street slip joints had a problem with "snap". Does that seem th have been cured now? I love old USA Schrades and wiould like some Canal Streets as they are the real Schrade heair apparent.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Canal Street Set

Post by philco »

I've got a hundred or more Canal Street knives and I can't think of a one of them that does not have decent "snap". Mind you they don't have the bear trap, nail breaking springs that some of the GEC knives do, but they do have sufficient spring tension that snap is not an issue.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Clark Doc Savage

Thanks for the infor. I'm torn between it and an ESS 6. Two different types but if I get the Canal set I would want to use it and it would take away any collector value. I don't hunt anymore so either would be a camp/hiking knife.
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

If you're talking about the D'Holder Bowie Hunter, let me warn you: I intended to use mine as a camp knife, but it's such a magnificent hunk of polished stainless steel and marvelously figured mahogany buffalo horn that I've been having a hard time bringing myself to use it for its intended purpose.

The Bowie Hunter is heavier than I'd want on a hike, but you may have been talking about the Half Moon, which is suitably light.

The eight Half Moons I've handled have all had pretty much the same snap, which I'd describe as just about perfect. Some folks like for their slipjoints to put up more of a fight when you try to open them, and there's nothing wrong with that preference, but I don't share it.
Clark Doc Savage

Well I ordered the set. Should get late this week. Will let you kniow what i think when it gets here. I wonder if the Macassar ebony wood handles are stailized? I know that wood is very hard to begin with.
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

there are folks that buy the D'Holder Bowie to use it and those that buy it to collect - I would say it's about 50/50
http://www.droppointhunter.com
michael@droppointhunter.com
The Drop Point Hunter, Inc
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

personally - I think the D'Holder drop point would be a great knife to be a user
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

D.P. Hunter wrote:personally - I think the D'Holder drop point would be a great knife to be a user

I agree and think I'd prefer it to the bowie.
I've just never been all that wild about using a bowie knife.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

D.P. Hunter wrote:there are folks that buy the D'Holder Bowie to use it and those that buy it to collect - I would say it's about 50/50
Although I bought mine for use, it may end up like the Towle carving set that comes out only for ceremonial occasions.

When I first saw pictures of the D'Holder Bowie Hunter, I thought it was more of a looker than a user. Later on, I realized its blade length, width, and grind weren't all that different from my Kershaw 1085 (Diskin Hunter), which had quickly established itself as my most versatile fixed blade, in kitchen as well as camp. I thought the D'Holder might behave similarly, with more heft and even better edge retention (Sandvik 19C27 versus 14C28N).

Before I can judge its utility, I'll have to sharpen it. Its factory edge was far from dull, but wasn't as sharp as the Kershaw's. I'm proceeding carefully because I don't want to mar the mirror finish before I've decided whether it's more for looks or for use.

I'll be interested to hear what Clark Doc Savage thinks of his.
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

Will - the mirror polish issue is an interesting issue - I hadn't thought about that.

I just know from my interactions that there are Cowboys out there that like wielding that big fancy blade.
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
Clark Doc Savage

Well I received my knives today. DP Hunter my compliments to Canal Street. This is my first buy. The D'Holder was very sharp out of the box and the ebony scales have redish brown swirls in them and are beautiful against the polished steel. I was surprised at how hefty the blade is. Yes it would make a good camp knife if you wanted to use it for that purpose. The half moon trapper was not as sharp as the bowie but 8 strokes on the fine DMT stone would have that taken care of in 2 min. This would make a good knife to carry with causal cloths as it is very slim. No the D'Holders aren't cheap but what hobby is. How much did those golf clubs cost or that radio controlled plane.
My take on using it is: If you bought it as a collectible to see the price rise and sell later, then don't use it. Otherwise, why not use it (carefully). After all you are not going to take it with you and so you might as well get some use out of it. Sure you hope to pass it on to your kids but there's no guarantee they won't sell it. How many times have you looked on ebay and seen a seller state my dad, my uncle...had this knife and it's just gathering dust so I put it up for auction.
One thing's for sure either way in the case of a natural disaster and you needed a good knife this sturdy beauty would do and do nicely.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Is there any chance of seeing pictures of those knives? :D
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Mr Rick

Post by Mr Rick »

philco wrote:Is there any chance of seeing pictures of those knives? :D
My sentiments exactly. :x
Rick

Always looking for custom knives made in Montana.

AAPK #9213.............and proud of it.
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

I know you're hoping to see the ebony-handled set, but I started a new thread with pictures of three different flavors of buffalo horn.

Will
Clark Doc Savage

To me, while the ebony Canal street and the Chestnut handled ones are called bowies, they are still drop points that are just about 5". The regular D'holder's are i beleive about 3 3/8" or there abouts. At any rate the D'holder Bowies do not have a clip blade. My set was stamped 2009 but you can go to DPhunter's store and look at a Chestnut handled Bowie or to the post on the buffalo horn. To me again they are not clip blades. I will try to get you some pics soon. My camera's on the fritz so repair or buy another.

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”