Canal Street Handle Material Question

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
Centurion

Canal Street Handle Material Question

Post by Centurion »

I'm a slip joint newbie and so far Case and GEC has been feeding my newfound addiction ::super_happy:: I have a question for all you Canal Street folks that are much more knowledgeable than I am. I really like what Canal Street has to offer and I'm thinking about picking up a Half Moon Pie Trapper with buffalo horn handles. Do you guys know if Canal Street uses North American Buffalo / Bison horn or is it most likely Water Buffalo horn from Asia? Thanks for any info :D
ea42

Re: Canal Street Handle Material Question

Post by ea42 »

That's water buffalo Centurion, I'm not sure that bison is suitable for handles due to it's thickness and curvature. If you want American horn then the white tail, elk, or mule deer is what you'd want to go for.

Eric
Centurion

Post by Centurion »

Centurion

Post by Centurion »

I actually just pulled the trigger on my first Canal Street today. I bought a Half Moon Pie Trapper with Smooth Sunset Bone handles. The lines, appearance, and size of the Half Moon Pie is about perfect for me. I have mixed feelings on the handles, currently there doesn't seem to much out there for variety and the Smooth Sunset Bone looked the best. Would love a Half Moon Pie with rams horn. Anyone else have a Canal Street with Smooth Sunset Bone handles? Impressions?
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

The smooth sunset bone is superb, as is the Half Moon trapper. You chose well.
Centurion

Post by Centurion »

Thanks for the feedback Will, really looking forward to it arriving. Looks like you're new here also, welcome :D
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I have a few of the Half Moon Trappers, however, my choice is the Pinch lock Back.....I love that single Blade Lockbacks.

I believe I have one or more of every Pinch Lock they have made for sale from Droppointhunter, and even a few that were SFOs or custom exclusives

Some of me I have three of each....standard Pinch, Factory engraved Pinch and Burl engraved Pinch. I just counted them up and it looks like 44 Pinch Lock Backs, 4 Half Moon Pie Trappers, 8 Ring turns and a bunch of other odds and end knives.

If you really are interested in the Canal Street Knives, talk with Michael Siegel.....he goes by D.P. here on AAPK or you can contact him directly through www.droppointhunter.com

He has the straight skinny on what knives are available now and what's coming up. He is my go to guy for all of my Canal Street needs!

Tom
Centurion

Post by Centurion »

Thanks for the info Chase. Checked out droppointhunter.com and WOW ::super_happy:: It's a Canal Street Mecca!
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

Centurion wrote:Thanks for the feedback Will, really looking forward to it arriving. Looks like you're new here also, welcome :D
Yes, that was my first post. Thanks.

My first Canal Street was this Half Moon trapper in buffalo horn, which instantly became my primary pocket knife:
Some time later, for a gift, I ordered one in smooth sunset bone. The bone was even more striking than the horn, and would probably be more durable. Knowing what I know now, I'd have gone with smooth bone instead of buffalo horn. But I'm still very happy with mine, as I'm sure you'll be with yours.

When yours arrives, I hope you'll post a picture and tell us what you think of it.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Will, that's a beauty, got some nice coloration!

Eric
Centurion

Post by Centurion »

I have to say that buffalo horn Half Moon Pie Trapper looks awesome. I saw that AG Russell has them in stock and it was tempting. I got my Half Moon Pie a few days ago with the Smooth Sunset Bone Handles and I really like it. The knife itself is beautiful; the fit, finish, and quality is excellent. The knife has a nice heft but is not heavy, slips into the pocket nicely and I hardly even know its there. The pics online don't do the Smooth Sunset Bone handles justice, they are much nicer in person. Depending on the light, they can appear to be a rich brown, deep red, or several shades in between. All in all, I'm very satisfied with my first CSC knife.
Attachments
CSC.jpg
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

Excellent choice on that one.....that bone is BEAUTIFUL, and CSC does a fine job too. ::tu:: ::tu::

IM
:)
AAPK #6581
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Great Choice Cent!

I knew you wouldn't be disappointed when you got it in hand. I just received another shipment of the Pinch lock backs this week...(8) Additional ones...I sure do love that pattern. I am now anxiously awaiting the New Barlow that Canal Street is doing.

Tom
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Centurion, fine looking sunset bone on that one!!

Tom, speaking of the barlows, the first ones shipped out today, here's a shot of one hanging out with Jezebel :D :
Attachments
Jezebel_335.JPG
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Eric will all the barlows have the clip blade or will some of them ( ::pray:: ) have a spear blade ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Centurion

Post by Centurion »

Thanks for the compliments guys :mrgreen: That's a sweet looking Barlow ea42, is that stag or American elk?
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Phil, right now it's just clips.

Centurion, that's stag, one of the lighter of the bunch.

Eric
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I need one of those Eric....sorry to see that AG Russell got their Barlows first!

Wish I could have gotten my first CS Barlow from Michael vs AG

Tom
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Tom, AG's got first dibs, he's got that sweet stag after all! ::tu:: :wink:

Mike's right behind him with some jade G10, probably this week.

Eric
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Crack the whip Eric and get that Jade Barlow out the door......sure would like to get one at the show the Shendoah Valley Show this coming weekend!

Tell Wally he needs to get at least one out the doer for Michael to have a available

LOL

Tom
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

Chase - poor eric - I creamed him and alex yesterday - told them they would be held up to eternal ridicule if they didn't deliver - especially now that eric is a moomie star - and so they did - just picked up a handful of Pale Jade Barlows and White Linen Barlows to bring down with me. : ) Michael
http://www.droppointhunter.com
michael@droppointhunter.com
The Drop Point Hunter, Inc
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

You guys are the greatest!
Please hold one of each for me and don't forget the Jade Pinch as well....I knew I'd get some more of the best manufactured knives in the Industry at the show!

Whoooo Hoooo

Tom
JC082705

Post by JC082705 »

Does anyone have a Canal Street with Kudu bone handles? I have been looking just for one or even a photo of one?

Thank you

Joe

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”