Latest Canal Street Additions

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Latest Canal Street Additions

Post by 1967redrider »

kootenay joe wrote:When i get back home in about 1 week i will take pics of my blue rope Union Razor knife. Not sure if blade sits a bit low or if the scoop out of the blade tip is too shallow.
kj
Hoping maybe that 4th picture down helps you out. ::tu::
Coreysbu wrote:Great combo Redrider. Love the Redtrout!
Thanks! ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Coreysbu

Post by Coreysbu »

Here's my latest addition. A nice abalone folding hunter.
Attachments
20190826_145711.jpg
20190826_145628.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Coreysbu wrote:Here's my latest addition. A nice abalone folding hunter.
That's a great looking knife! ::tu:: ::tu::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
ea42

Post by ea42 »

John and Corey those are some excellent additions! ::tu:: ::tu::

Eric
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

ea42 wrote:John and Corey those are some excellent additions! ::tu:: ::tu::

Eric
Thanks, Eric, excellent work. ::handshake::

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is my Union Razor knife with blue rope bone handles. It is marked "Prototype" on the right front bolster. It arrived with essentially no edge grind, done for show not for use, which i believe is correct for a true prototype knife. Eric A. very kindly offered to 'tune it up' for me and it now has a sharp edge ready for use but Eric informed me it is not really intended to shave your beard.
The spring tension is modest, perhaps a '5' which i think is right for a single blade trapper. I cannot get it to open by the one hand method. The scoop at the blade tip seems too shallow ? to catch onto a belt or pocket corner.
Or, is there is some technique involved that i am not employing ?
kj
Attachments
IMGP7411.JPG
IMGP7412.JPG
IMGP7413.JPG
IMGP7414.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That looks very odd kj. Never saw one so shallow; almost looks like it was broken off.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

KJ,

What does the kick look like on your knife? Wondering if maybe the prototype was later modified when they went into production to clean up functionality issues? Just a thought.

John
Attachments
Screenshot_20190902-112612.png
Screenshot_20190902-112658.png

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mine is lightly stamped and angles of kick might be slightly different, but it looks basically the same as yours.
kj
Attachments
IMGP7453.JPG
mmajor75

Post by mmajor75 »

I have a couple of these Canal Street knives I have been having difficulty getting a value on. I have 2 of the Ribbon Candy Mica handle (red). Numbered at 099 and 067. I'd like to know how many were made like this and I have just the one in the doctor's knife style but did not receive any info on what the handle is called.
Attachments
20191007_234720.jpg
20191008_000000.jpg
Airborne 1

Post by Airborne 1 »

@ ea42
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)
mmajor75

Post by mmajor75 »

One other I would love some information on is this NRA edition #24436 fixed blade. I have the sheath and box but again I do not have any clue on value. I got it for what I thought was a good price because of beauty and the NRA significance.
Attachments
20191008_002051.jpg
20191008_002649.jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

mmajor75, the doctor's knife was called white buffalo mica pearl and was made for AG Russell I think around 2006 or 2007. There were 100 of those made. The ribbon candy pinch was also made for AG Russell in 2012 for the Christmas catalog. There were 675 of those made. The NRA knife was handled in kirinite if I remember correctly. I don't recall how many of those we made and I can't seem to find any NRA paperwork but I remember they were done in a couple of batches so I'd guess somewhere around 200 or 300. That's just an educated guess though.

I'm not going to guess any values, your best bet would be to go to Ebay and look up completed listings on Canal Street knives. That'll give you a good idea.

Eric
mmajor75

Post by mmajor75 »

Thanks Eric, I know it's hard to assume values but like you said about the NRA it's hard to find info about it. I do know it was made of kirinite, I think the steel may have been D2. I have the paper detailing the knife. I was considering selling a couple knives off and I just didn't know where to begin on the pricing. Guess all you can do is throw a number and play the haggle game.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Got in this Swell Center Jack today with some of the nicest stag. Fit and finish are just incredible on this. Mirror polished D2 blades, backsprings and even the spacers used are polished. This has a deafening snap. Not really, but it’s pretty loud.
Only 50 of these were made back in 2013 for the Wolverine Knife Collectors Club. Happy to add this to my collection.
Attachments
IMG_2584.jpeg
IMG_2585.jpeg
IMG_2586.jpeg
IMG_2589.jpeg
IMG_2590.jpeg
IMG_2592.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Love the stag!!! ::tu:: ::tu::
Coreysbu

Post by Coreysbu »

Nice addition... and matching stag at that. ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks, that stag is what got my attention. Very well matched. I didn’t take a picture of how think it is, but it’s thick stag too.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Oh boy, that's a dandy!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That is truly exceptional stag. Quietly spectacular.
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 pm Got in this Swell Center Jack today with some of the nicest stag. Fit and finish are just incredible on this. Mirror polished D2 blades, backsprings and even the spacers used are polished. This has a deafening snap. Not really, but it’s pretty loud.
Only 50 of these were made back in 2013 for the Wolverine Knife Collectors Club. Happy to add this to my collection.

Mmmm....staglicious.

Do you have any pics of the knife well on the non pivot end? I am intrigued by the cap bolster and how it is attached.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tony_Wood wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:35 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 pm Got in this Swell Center Jack today with some of the nicest stag. Fit and finish are just incredible on this. Mirror polished D2 blades, backsprings and even the spacers used are polished. This has a deafening snap. Not really, but it’s pretty loud.

Mmmm....staglicious.

Do you have any pics of the knife well on the non pivot end? I am intrigued by the cap bolster and how it is attached.
Yes I have one. If you need to see it from the top side, just let me know.
Attachments
IMG_2590.jpeg
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Nice one SNSK ::tu::

I recently picked up this 2015 Blade Forums knife:
2015BFKnife-5.JPG
2015BFKnife-2.JPG
2015BFKnife-3.JPG
2015BFKnife-4.JPG
Mike
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

The Blade Forums Knife was the last knife produced by Canal Street while the factory was still open. After that knife, Canal Street started up the Co-Op knives for Redhill cutlery.

Now it seems that Canal Street is no longer going to produce even the Co-Op Knives. They just finished the final run of Knives for Moore Maker and there will be no more produced....Dang Shame

Although, I have it on good authority that we shall be seeing a new maker stepping forward with his own line of knives that he will be producing...

Tom
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Chase wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:19 pm The Blade Forums Knife was the last knife produced by Canal Street while the factory was still open. After that knife, Canal Street started up the Co-Op knives for Redhill cutlery.

Now it seems that Canal Street is no longer going to produce even the Co-Op Knives. They just finished the final run of Knives for Moore Maker and there will be no more produced....Dang Shame

Although, I have it on good authority that we shall be seeing a new maker stepping forward with his own line of knives that he will be producing...

Tom
Thanks for the update Tom. Any guess at where they will be produced? USA or China or somewhere else?

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”