easy way to distinguish between dark-brown (celluloid vs. Buffalo horn)

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
mdpmedia1

easy way to distinguish between dark-brown (celluloid vs. Buffalo horn)

Post by mdpmedia1 »

I was thinking about switching out one set of scales from a couple of Case SRs but couldn't decide which one to pull off since I had two that looked very similar to one another. ::shrug::

Then I noticed a feature that could more quickly identify dark natural horn vs dark celluloid. The attached photo has both of my SRs side-by-side. Take note of how the 'exact same source' of incoming light becomes diffused when reflecting off of the horn surface (left SR). The reflected light jumping out from the celluloid patina (right SR) has more of a distinct and defined edge; its surface appears to be more like a mirror in real life compared to the horn.

To verify the accuracy of my above visual assumptions I then did a hot pin test on both. The right celluloid SR burst out a very strong cloud of obnoxious celluloid vapor odor. The left one only very slightly smoked and smelled like burnt hair which is indicative of Buffalo horn in this instance.

So I am leaning towards pulling off only the celluloid scales
case buf horn vs case celuloid SRs BEST.JPG
and replacing them with something more captivating; this switch will be covered in a subsequent thread to avoid changing the trend of thought in this one. Stay tuned since I'll need many opinions ref. which way to go on this.

Thanks for looking and what year do you think these two SRs were made? Do the Case SR tang markings follow the same alphanumeric codes that Case pocket knive tangs use?
eveled

Re: easy way to distinguish between dark-brown (celluloid vs. Buffalo horn)

Post by eveled »

The horn seems to absorb the light and the cel reflects it. I’m not sure your sample size is large enough to use as a test. Likely the horn could be polished to a high gloss and reflect light the same way. The hot needle doesn’t lie.

Definitely replace the celluloid and be sure to post pictures.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”