I'm at a loss for a swirly bird hone ID: help

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
mdpmedia1

I'm at a loss for a swirly bird hone ID: help

Post by mdpmedia1 »

This bird needs a home for a name etc. I insert the following template for any hone/stone I want to sell.
It keeps me up-ta-snuff on the latest line. :)

I need to know this stuff to figure it out 'accurately':

1) material/type/brand the hone is made of/by: ie natural blue - green Thuringian Escher (I wish), synthetic barber (don’t know if this word is a generic 'type' or what it's used for?), synthetic Carborundum 101, Washita, natural Belgium coticle, natural Charnley Forest etc

2) country of origin: Germany, USA, England, France etc

3) best lubricant to use with: ie water, oil, lather, WD-40 etc

4) best for sharpening: straight razors (SRs), pocket knives, machetes, machinist tools etc,

and last but not least

5) suggested retail price

This is a generic form that I’ll be posting for both the razor and pocket knife forums. Please opine on as many as ya can: even one (1) of the five is great.

NOTE: Those light tracing marks on the dark side of this hone are NOT scratches. They're embedded into the natural fabric of the internal parts; and 'parts are parts' : just like chicken wings. ::groove::

The colors for both of these flat sides are spot on.

Appreciate it
Two layered.colored swirled obvers shot no. 218.JPG
Attachments
Two layered.colored swirled revers shot w. ruler no. 218.JPG
mdpmedia1

Re: I'm at a loss for a swirly bird hone ID: help

Post by mdpmedia1 »

a 2" wide, two-layered hone
Attachments
Two layered.colored swirled short side take no. 218.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I have at least two stones that are similar to yours. Mine are 7"x1 3/4" and 6"x 1 1/4".
When I knock lightly on the dark filler piece on the stone it sounds dull, reminding me of something like plastic.

1. I don't know what kind of material the sharpening surface is. I think it's very effective.
One seem to be softer than the other. I think I used these minimally some time ago to check them out.
I am not familiar with Thuringian Escher or Charnley Forest.
2. My stones are likely U.S.A. made. Yours, perhaps.
3. I use water.
4.Yours, probably razors.
My stones, as narrow as they are, could be used for razors but also for small folding pen knives.
This probably doesn't need to be said. I'm just dutifully filling in the assignment. ::nod::
5. Price? Wouldn't have a clue.
Attachments
DSCN9860 (2).JPG
DSCN9863.JPG
Joe
mdpmedia1

Post by mdpmedia1 »

My stones are likely U.S.A...
Thanks for the feedback. I like your stones and you may have yourself a Belgium Coticule:

https://www.bestsharpeningstones.com/pr ... uct_id=226

The Belgium Coticules contain embedded garnets having a much higher Mohs value indicative of a quicker etching capability. I use many of these more expensive hones for the straight razors I dabble in.

http://www.coticule.be/faq-reader/items ... ets41.html

An interesting comparison of some gemstones to ave. knife blade materials' hardness:

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/sele ... -hardness/

About 1/3 way down the page you'll see the the Mohs values for garnet in relation to diamonds, the MAMA of etching materials.:

https://www.josephjewelry.com/guide/gem ... -scale.php

Unless I am mistaken my swirly bird hone most likely does not contains any garnets.

If you could turn it over so we could see the front and back sides as close-up as possible, the material type may be more evident. Fragmented garnets are virtually invisible to the naked eye but you 'possibly' could see them with a $ 9 clip-on hi power magnifying glass to your smart phone's camera lens. These save my eyes from straining to look at my razor's edge:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143925596700?_ ... 1113.m2108
mdpmedia1

Post by mdpmedia1 »

I wanted to repost some nicer shots that better accentuate the beauty of this hone:
two sides tilted showing GREAT swirled tracings no. 218.JPG
Two layered.colored swirled long side shot w. ruler no. 218.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Viewing the "coticule" link it seems like I may have a Belgium Coticule. Nice. I have some Belgium Blue stones too.
At least I think I do. Interesting information you are posting.
If you think mine are Coticule why aren't yours? Looks the same.
You asked about the other side of the stone. That is a applied man made substance. I don't know what it is.
I have a 40x loupe. Maybe tomorrow I can get a picture of an area of the coticule and post it.
There is a mile of information and posts about stones on the forum. I don't know how to tell you to find them.
Joe

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”