Sharpening them

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
OSCAR

Sharpening them

Post by OSCAR »

I collect knives but I shave with straight razors. I have 3 razors by Dovo which were fairly expensive. They need professional sharpening as it is not in my skill set to sharpen a razor although I can put a terrific edge on a knife. The online store I bought them from offers the service but at $75 each. Does anyone know of a service that does great work at a lesser price ? I have about $700 invested in them and I don’t want them ruined. Thanks in advance for any advice.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Eye Brand Man

Re: Sharpening them

Post by Eye Brand Man »

I'm not an expert on straight razors, but it seems unless they are extremely dull or the edges are damaged, a few licks on a leather strop with some compound should bring them back to shaving.
Eye Brand Collector
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks for replying. I’m no expert either. I strip before every use but I’ve not tried any compound on the leather. I’ll order some and give it a try. $75 seems like a lot to professionally sharpen one blade.
Thanks for the idea. I think that it should make a big difference at a low price. Thanks again
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks for replying. I’m no expert either. I strop before every use but I’ve not tried any compound on the leather. I’ll order some and give it a try. $75 seems like a lot to professionally sharpen one blade.
Thanks for the idea. I think that it should make a big difference at a low price. Thanks again
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

a quick search shows Dovo for $150 and less, so $75 is not inline unless it has been damaged. Search YouTube videos about sharpening and if possible lots of Barbers still use them. Perhaps one in your area can show you? Their is a shaving store in a shopping mall at Nashville, Tenn. that carries expensive strait razors. My Barber just held out the strap on the chair and went back and forth a few times, and shaved around the ears and used a stipstix stick for the nicks.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks. I thought it’s out of line also. I never thought of checking YouTube but it’s a great idea. No chips no rust just used for many years. I’ve no problem putting a great edge on a knife but a razor is such a thin edge. I’ll check YouTube today. Thanks for a great suggestion.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

OSCAR wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:41 pm I collect knives but I shave with straight razors. I have 3 razors by Dovo which were fairly expensive. They need professional sharpening as it is not in my skill set to sharpen a razor although I can put a terrific edge on a knife. The online store I bought them from offers the service but at $75 each. Does anyone know of a service that does great work at a lesser price ? I have about $700 invested in them and I don’t want them ruined. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Contact Glen Mercurio at http://gemstarcustoms.com/ He'll put a stellar edge on your blades. I don't know what he charges but I know his work is good and he is good people.
I'm not a fan of compound on strops. I have a set of stones and keep my own blades honed to my satisfaction. Another option to consider might be a "barber's hone". They are made simply to touch up an edge. A lot of the older vintage ones are delaminating as they are synthetic. If you can find one for a few bucks that is smooth and pretty level, slap a dollop of lather on the stone and run the blade up and down it a few times with little or no pressure. Might help, might not.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Owd Wullie wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:56 pm
OSCAR wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:41 pm I collect knives but I shave with straight razors. I have 3 razors by Dovo which were fairly expensive. They need professional sharpening as it is not in my skill set to sharpen a razor although I can put a terrific edge on a knife. The online store I bought them from offers the service but at $75 each. Does anyone know of a service that does great work at a lesser price ? I have about $700 invested in them and I don’t want them ruined. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Contact Glen Mercurio at http://gemstarcustoms.com/ He'll put a stellar edge on your blades. I don't know what he charges but I know his work is good and he is good people.
I'm not a fan of compound on strops. I have a set of stones and keep my own blades honed to my satisfaction. Another option to consider might be a "barber's hone". They are made simply to touch up an edge. A lot of the older vintage ones are delaminating as they are synthetic. If you can find one for a few bucks that is smooth and pretty level, slap a dollop of lather on the stone and run the blade up and down it a few times with little or no pressure. Might help, might not.
I'll second the recommendation for Glen.
He's the only one who has sharpened my straight razors.
Very professional and quick turnaround, great pricing.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Owd. Thanks for posting. I’ll check it out. Not sure I wanna try sharpening but let a pro. I got by with leather strop for a few years. Now all are dull. I’ll see what he charges. Thanks again Oscar

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”