North American Cutlery razor

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

North American Cutlery razor

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I don’t collect razors but I have a couple that have stamps aligned with my other cutlery diseases. :lol: So when I saw this one I needed it to go with with my knives from North American Cutlery. North American was a cutlery “jobber” outfit owned by some members of the Case family. The blade is etched “North American”. The etch includes the picture of a Native American, which makes me think it was possibly made by Cattaraugus. The celluloid handle is marked with what remains of “NORTH AMERICAN CUTLERY COMPANY” over what I believe once likely said “BEAVER CITY NEBRASKA ”.
E6243044-9486-4DC4-8551-504B719D3D24.jpeg
37DA4E4B-7EE9-4A22-A1A4-8CF0AAD7232D.jpeg
46C8AAA0-9D73-4501-B119-16E62E69F050.jpeg
334F542B-4AD7-4926-874A-8D0C2BBAD46E.jpeg
Also found this in Witcher’s Counterfeiting Antique Cutlery. I have been looking for info on the stamp and the company, only to discover this, which I’ve had for years! ::facepalm::
Attachments
69A6FBAD-5F43-4FEC-8487-D4F8E333DC1B.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Steve Warden

Re: North American Cutlery razor

Post by Steve Warden »

Sweet score, Ken!
That's a beaut!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very knice Ken. Fancy handle. ::nod:: ::nod::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Is there a chip out of the blade end or was it made that way, and if so, why ?
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:55 am Is there a chip out of the blade end or was it made that way, and if so, why ?
kj
It’s not chipped, it was made that way. That is called a “barber’s notch”. It’s there to make it easier to open the blade by catching it on something (like the seam of your pants) and flicking it open. Supposedly barbers preferred it because they frequently opened razors - the notch makes it more convenient.

I don’t shave with a straight razor so I’m just telling what I’ve been told. Someone else may have more to add (or tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about, which would be true. :lol: )

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:12 am
kootenay joe wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:55 am Is there a chip out of the blade end or was it made that way, and if so, why ?
kj
It’s not chipped, it was made that way. That is called a “barber’s notch”. It’s there to make it easier to open the blade by catching it on something (like the seam of your pants) and flicking it open. Supposedly barbers preferred it because they frequently opened razors.

I don’t shave with a straight razor so I’m just telling what I’ve been told. Someone else may have more to add (or tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about, which would be true. :lol: )

Ken
Pretty much what I know about the "barber's notch." 👍
I have one razor with the notch and I've never used it to open the razor. I just pinch and pull, like an Easy Open knife.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Ken. I have a few old straight razors and none have this notch but are very easy to open by grasping the spine as Steve has mentioned.
However a barber often would have scissors or a comb in his other hand and thus the notch would be helpful.
kj
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

The Barber’s notch makes it easier to shave your lip around your nose.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Colonel26 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:17 am The Barber’s notch makes it easier to shave your lip around your nose.
Thanks. I must try a straight razor someday/
kj
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:56 am
Colonel26 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:17 am The Barber’s notch makes it easier to shave your lip around your nose.
Thanks. I must try a straight razor someday/
kj
My neck area is sensitive and my lower whiskers swirl in all directions. Shaving with one of those modern multi blade cartridge razors tears me up bad. Double edge safety razors are a vast improvement in the comfort and closeness of shave for me. But nothing has ever given me as comfortable and less irritating s shave as a straight razor. Ymmv

As to the OP razor, it’s a dandy and would be most welcome in any collection. ::tu::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Hmmm...never heard that. Not saying it's wrong, just never heard it.
Guess I'll never know since I've very partial to my handlebar mustache! :mrgreen:
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Steve Warden wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:55 pm
Hmmm...never heard that. Not saying it's wrong, just never heard it.
Guess I'll never know since I've very partial to my handlebar mustache! :mrgreen:

Steve I gathered that from personal experience and reading on the straight razor forums.

Now I haven’t shaved my lip in years as I usually wear at least a goatee if not a full beard.
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”