Harry's razers

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
mrwatch

Harry's razers

Post by mrwatch »

I hear lot's of adds for this brand and seen them at a drug store. Anyone here use them? or preferred brand and model of newest safety razers?
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Harry's razers

Post by Jeffinn »

I’ve used the ones from the Dollar Shave Club for the past 5 years and have no complaints whatsoever.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

Harry's is my razor of choice. I stopped using Gillette after they insulted men with the "woke" ad they ran a few years ago and never looked back. They make a better quality razor, a lot more comfortable on my face, and the blades are made in Germany. I can also recommend their shaving cream. It's good stuff.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Interesting, I too have been wondering about Harry's products after seeing them advertised and in stores. I am now inclined to give them a try.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Harry's is a quality product, they own there own blade factory in Germany. They don't work well for my face, along with most higher end supermarket razors. I like the cheaper ones that I can put a little more pressure on(bottom in pic), I only shave once a month. Sometimes I use my custom straight razor in 52100 steel.
aapkrazor.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

My razor of choice is an old Gillette adjustable double edge that I've had for years.Bought a box of Berkley blades(100)awhile back for next to nothing so I probably have enough to last me for the next 75 or 100 years.Works fine for all the shaving I do(very little since radiation therapy took most of my facial hair away).
I used to use a Stick Schick injector razor and only bought it because it had a miniature 4 speed shift knob on the end,
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
artmcclure
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by artmcclure »

I get 7 - 9 shaves per blade. I use their gel before shaving and let it setup for 5 - 10 minutes. Their 6 oz. tube of gel lasts at least half of a year. Seems to be a good product. Art
Art McClure
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

The Dollar Club did use Dorco (South Korean) razors, I didn't know they switched to Harry's! I used Dorco razors for years and on an introductory offer I tried Harry's. I didn't like Harry's because it had a trim blade situated at the top of the cartridge in just the right position to cause me to nick my ear if I wasn't very careful which I'm not at O'dark thirty. Shaky hands have driven me to Norelco anyway.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

artmcclure wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:30 pm I get 7 - 9 shaves per blade. I use their gel before shaving and let it setup for 5 - 10 minutes. Their 6 oz. tube of gel lasts at least half of a year. Seems to be a good product. Art
Wow, only 7-9 shaves per blade? I am getting 30 with my current brand.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

artmcclure wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:30 pm I get 7 - 9 shaves per blade. I use their gel before shaving and let it setup for 5 - 10 minutes. Their 6 oz. tube of gel lasts at least half of a year. Seems to be a good product. Art
I get around 50 shaves with a straight razor before I have to touch the edge up on a stone and then it's ready for another 50 or so. :D
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Owd Wullie wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:23 am
I get around 50 shaves with a straight razor before I have to touch the edge up on a stone and then it's ready for another 50 or so. :D
If I’m in a hurry or just lazy I’ll use my old Gillette fat boy adjustable DE razor. But I’m with you most of the time it’s a straight razor. Mine are all 100+ years old best I can tell. So I figure at the current usage my great grandchildren might have to buy a new razor.
knife7knut wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:02 am My razor of choice is an old Gillette adjustable double edge that I've had for years.Bought a box of Berkley blades(100)awhile back for next to nothing so I probably have enough to last me for the next 75 or 100 years.Works fine for all the shaving I do(very little since radiation therapy took most of my facial hair away).
I used to use a Stick Schick injector razor and only bought it because it had a miniature 4 speed shift knob on the end,
My favorites are the Astra Platinum. They’re cheap, smooth, and do a real good job.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I went to Harry's razor's about 5 years ago...and have never looked back. I tried the Gillett's and all the other high end razors, but I got tired of spending $5.00 on the handle, and $35.00 on the cartridges of four that wouldn't even last a month of shaves...for all four. ::facepalm:: ::dang:: To me, it was just a waste of money. I now spend $35.00 / year on Harry's cartridges and get 16. Each cartridge I get over a month of smooth shaving, and I really like the 'trimmer' blade on the topside to get close with the sideburns and around the bottom of the nose.

I'm a firm believer in 'blow drying' (with my mouth) the cartridge blades dry after each use. I read years ago that if one did this, it would prolong the blades and keep them sharp. It only takes about 15 more seconds to dry them after you shake the excess water off. I thought it was a sham...but, ya know, I started doing it and I'll be darned if I didn't start getting more life out of each cartridge and the blades stayed sharper much longer. I don't know the science behind it, but I know it works. ::nod::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”