What do I have?

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: What do I have?

Post by Colonel26 »

Byrd wrote:Wade, to have to report back and let us know how good a shave you get with it! ::ds::
Well after I posted that last night I decided I’d better tune her up. She had a good bevel, just dull. A few passes on an 8k diamond hone, some time on an old barber hone, and some stropping and she was sharp. I shaved with her this morning before Sunday meeting and I’m pleased to report the whiskers are gone and no blood was shed!

I’m going to fine tune it a little more, but it shaves really nice. That full hollow grind blade is no joke, and being a big ol heavy blade you sure enough don’t have to push it. As a matter of fact, it has enough momentum she could get away with you if you let it.

All in all I’m real impressed. A nice smooth easy shave! Very nice! Thanks again Byrd!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Now we need pictures! That's neat. I've never shaved with a straight razor, I'd be chicken. You're a brave man to do it before church.
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Byrd wrote:Now we need pictures! That's neat. I've never shaved with a straight razor, I'd be chicken. You're a brave man to do it before church.
The learning curve is steep and can be a bit painful. It is by no means insurmountable. I've been using them for several years and can do a two pass shave in 10 minutes. Occasionally I donate some blood from my chin. :roll: However, I did that more often with double blade, plastic handled razors on a regular basis, so other than not buying plastic junk anymore, not much has changed. LOL
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Brian Flowers

Post by Brian Flowers »

Of course i've not been on this sight as long as some, but , have been a long time collector of Straights ,
my hats off to those who have the knowledge i do not . that said , i have around 60 + or - Wade & Butcher Straight Razors .
most pre tariff " 1891 " . some of the tell tale signs i look for , first , are pins , type , placement , " Any " difference in color of pins .
take notice of the first pic of both razors , the W & B seems to have " 2 " different colored pins , 1 brass colored , the other more of a silver shade,
I think , of course pics do not always offer justice , but , they are in fact , pics , not , in hand items . as for the " scales " or handles of the Wade ,
hhhmm , im on the fence as to them being " Horn " or not , again , judging by pins , and also not in hand. i've seen some early rescales that did in fact ,
look great , but , to the trained eye , were very tell tale , so to speak. doing a major amount of research , " years " , and having in hand items to study have helped me " tremendously" jus sayin . i hope this helps .
Brain

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”