What do I have?

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Byrd

What do I have?

Post by Byrd »

A friend was working an estate sale and these razors didn't sell so he gave them to me. I know nothing about razors so your input would be appreciated!

The black one is marked Manufactured by Wade and Butch F.F. Sheffield. The Butch might not be right as the stamp is faint. It's handle appears to be horn.

The yellow one is etched The Electric Cutler Newark. It's handle has carvings of some kind of animals and trees. I don't know what the handle is. Could it be ivory?
Attachments
20190614_152800_HDR.jpg
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What do I have?

Post by treefarmer »

Byrd, the name is Wade and Butcher and sometimes they are pricey. There are some fellers on the forum that know all about straight razors, hopefully one will come by and enlighten you. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I could see that since you mentioned the name. Butcher has the e & r a bit worn so it looks like an f f.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I like the Electric one, is it for sale?? Most of these handles are celluloid or "french ivory", I don't think anybody can tell by your photos whether it is real ivory or celluloid. Could we see a photo of the front of the Electric?
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Very nice old razors. They ought to clean right up and shave well.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Here's a pic of the front of the Electric Cutler. On the tang is a faint etch of the word Nordic.
Attachments
20190614_195224_HDR.jpg
20190614_195232_HDR.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Would need a real good closeup of the handle but it looks to me like it is celluloid made to look like bone Nice razors though.
The W&B looks like the handle is either black composition or gutta percha.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Here are a couple more pics of the Electric. Perhaps that'll help identify the material the handle is made from?
Attachments
20190619_153158_HDR.jpg
20190619_153202_HDR.jpg
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

You hit a home run. Both are nice, restorable, usable razors. The Wade & Butcher looks to be a 6/8 or possibly a 7/8. That denotes the blade width in eighths of an inch. Probably made 1870/1890. Nice heavy razor. Scales are most likely buffalo horn.

The Electric Cutlery is an American made razor. That style is known as a "faux frame back" nowadays. Once again, nice blade. Looks to be a 5/8 which for some strange reason, the majority of American made razors were produced as. Handles/scales look to be celluloid.

Neither is particularly expensive or rare, however, they are very nice older razors to slightly clean up, hone and saw whiskers with if you are of such a mind. If you decide to go that route, send them to someone that knows how to hone a razor. I've seen very nice razors ruined by clowns with belt sanders and no damn clue as to what they are doing and no idea of how sharp a razor has to be to give a good shave.

I'm on here about once a month for a few minutes, so I can't be a whole lot of help for you. I do know how to hone razors and can occasionally be talked into it.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Owd Wullie wrote:You hit a home run. Both are nice, restorable, usable razors. The Wade & Butcher looks to be a 6/8 or possibly a 7/8. That denotes the blade width in eighths of an inch. Probably made 1870/1890. Nice heavy razor. Scales are most likely buffalo horn.

The Electric Cutlery is an American made razor. That style is known as a "faux frame back" nowadays. Once again, nice blade. Looks to be a 5/8 which for some strange reason, the majority of American made razors were produced as. Handles/scales look to be celluloid.

Neither is particularly expensive or rare, however, they are very nice older razors to slightly clean up, hone and saw whiskers with if you are of such a mind. If you decide to go that route, send them to someone that knows how to hone a razor. I've seen very nice razors ruined by clowns with belt sanders and no damn clue as to what they are doing and no idea of how sharp a razor has to be to give a good shave.

I'm on here about once a month for a few minutes, so I can't be a whole lot of help for you. I do know how to hone razors and can occasionally be talked into it.
...OW, do you know anything about a MONARCH-(1886-1888)??....this was my grandpa's and dad's razor, but granddad was born in 1892, so it has to have been my great grandfathers razor!!...it's a lot older than I thought, but that's all the info I can find in my "GOIN'S" book?????.................... ::tu:: ...........
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

carrmillus wrote: ...OW, do you know anything about a MONARCH-(1886-1888)??....this was my grandpa's and dad's razor, but granddad was born in 1892, so it has to have been my great grandfathers razor!!...it's a lot older than I thought, but that's all the info I can find in my "GOIN'S" book?????.................... ::tu:: ...........
Seem to recall seeing that name but am unfamiliar with it's origins. What little research I just did, it appears to be of German origin and may have been a brand carried by Simmons Hardware.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....thanks, OW,..since my grandfather was born in 1888, this has to be my great grandfather's razor!!, which makes it even more valuable to me!!!................. ::tu:: ::groove:: ::groove:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .......................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Good to "see" ya Willie. I hope retirement is treating you well.

Byrd, now there's a guy that knows his razors. He abandoned us for razors but is still well respected on the forum.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’ll second that. Thanks to Byrd and Willie’s knowledge the Wade and Butcher now resides at my house. Now to get that edge tuned up!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Wade, to have to report back and let us know how good a shave you get with it! ::ds::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Byrd wrote:Wade, to have to report back and let us know how good a shave you get with it! ::ds::
Well after I posted that last night I decided I’d better tune her up. She had a good bevel, just dull. A few passes on an 8k diamond hone, some time on an old barber hone, and some stropping and she was sharp. I shaved with her this morning before Sunday meeting and I’m pleased to report the whiskers are gone and no blood was shed!

I’m going to fine tune it a little more, but it shaves really nice. That full hollow grind blade is no joke, and being a big ol heavy blade you sure enough don’t have to push it. As a matter of fact, it has enough momentum she could get away with you if you let it.

All in all I’m real impressed. A nice smooth easy shave! Very nice! Thanks again Byrd!
Robert E. Lee
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Now we need pictures! That's neat. I've never shaved with a straight razor, I'd be chicken. You're a brave man to do it before church.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Byrd wrote:Now we need pictures! That's neat. I've never shaved with a straight razor, I'd be chicken. You're a brave man to do it before church.
The learning curve is steep and can be a bit painful. It is by no means insurmountable. I've been using them for several years and can do a two pass shave in 10 minutes. Occasionally I donate some blood from my chin. :roll: However, I did that more often with double blade, plastic handled razors on a regular basis, so other than not buying plastic junk anymore, not much has changed. LOL
Brian Flowers

Post by Brian Flowers »

Of course i've not been on this sight as long as some, but , have been a long time collector of Straights ,
my hats off to those who have the knowledge i do not . that said , i have around 60 + or - Wade & Butcher Straight Razors .
most pre tariff " 1891 " . some of the tell tale signs i look for , first , are pins , type , placement , " Any " difference in color of pins .
take notice of the first pic of both razors , the W & B seems to have " 2 " different colored pins , 1 brass colored , the other more of a silver shade,
I think , of course pics do not always offer justice , but , they are in fact , pics , not , in hand items . as for the " scales " or handles of the Wade ,
hhhmm , im on the fence as to them being " Horn " or not , again , judging by pins , and also not in hand. i've seen some early rescales that did in fact ,
look great , but , to the trained eye , were very tell tale , so to speak. doing a major amount of research , " years " , and having in hand items to study have helped me " tremendously" jus sayin . i hope this helps .
Brain

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”