Barber Shop - Reverse Clock

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Barber Shop - Reverse Clock

Post by Old Folder »

Many Barberiana collectors are aware of the old (very old) Barber Shops of the past. You may also be aware of the wall clocks that were on their wall opposite of the mirrors in these wonderful establishments.
When the barber would turn you around while you were sitting in the chair, all you had to do was look in the mirror, the clock face will display accurate time when you look at it via a mirror.
The face is in reverse and when viewed in the mirror it looks normal. If you look at the clock straight on without using the mirror, it is just a very confusing mess.
I would assume that only the very busy or large Barber-shops would have these. But they did exist.
Very rare. I have been looking for many years to find an original one. I think I will see peace on Earth before I find one.
Yes, they pop up on auction sites on occasion, but not original.
The two pictures posted below are from the web and are not original, but it will give you the proper visual description of my post.
If you have a small hand mirror, double click on one of the below pictures to enlarge it, turn away from your computer, hold the mirror up and view your monitor through the mirror, and there you have it.
iuEOHP5KBX.jpg
752224.jpg
I make clocks occasionally in my garage wood-shop, normally I give them away as gifts. I do not make the clock movements of course, just the housing that holds the clock movements.
Below is a couple of my creations. I use one as my "Avatar"
For AAPK.png
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
As I was online ordering some supplies from one of my Clock Parts suppliers, I ran into their new product page.
WOW I could not believe it. Everything I need to make my own "Reverse Barber Clock"
(1) Reverse time movement dials.
(2) Reverse High Torque "Barbershop" Quartz Movement.

https://www.clockparts.com/reverse-time-movement-dials/

https://www.clockparts.com/11-1-8-in-wh ... lock-dial/

https://www.clockparts.com/reverse-high ... -movement/

Now I can make my own Barbershop clock. ::ds::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Barber Shop - Reverse Clock

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I can remember seeing them in a barber shop about 60 years ago! You would be sitting in the chair and look in the mirror and the time was right there. I have also seen the reverse movements in the Klockit catalog.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:I can remember seeing them in a barber shop about 60 years ago! You would be sitting in the chair and look in the mirror and the time was right there. I have also seen the reverse movements in the Klockit catalog.
"Klockit" is a well supplied company, I use them on occasion.
I was a young lad 60 years ago, however I do not recall ever seeing one either in Texas or Indiana where I grew up. I would have remembered it.
I'm thinking "Turn of the Century" to early 1900's.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Old Folder wrote:
OLDE CUTLER wrote:I can remember seeing them in a barber shop about 60 years ago! You would be sitting in the chair and look in the mirror and the time was right there. I have also seen the reverse movements in the Klockit catalog.
"Klockit" is a well supplied company, I use them on occasion.
I was a young lad 60 years ago, however I do not recall ever seeing one either in Texas or Indiana where I grew up. I would have remembered it.
I'm thinking "Turn of the Century" to early 1900's.
This was a barber shop run by what I perceived at the time to be a very old guy 60 years ago. I don't know that I ever got a haircut there, but went along with my dad there as a small kid. He was a barber and gunsmith, and his shop catered to both customers.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The small town barbershop where I get my hair cut has one of those backwards clocks on the wall. And a haircut is $12! (Was $10 until last April.) It's an old fashioned barber shop, not a "salon", where you can still get a straight razor shave. No appointments. Just come in, sit down and wait your turn. I suspect the clock is likely a reproduction but I've never looked that closely at it. I'll have a look next time I'm there. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Our chiropractor has one in his waiting area.
I am sure it a newer reproduction.
Just a quirky little doo dad for a quirky little bone cracker.
I never would have thought of the barbershop connection ......
::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I go to an old fashioned barber shop like Ken’s. A haircut is $13, and was $11 last year. Oh well, better than a beauty parlor, and he has that vacuum hose on the clippers and straight razors you neck.

I love that clock. I’ve never seen one like that, but I surely like it.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
wizrd

Post by wizrd »

Old fashioned barber shops - brings back a memory of an old Italian barber I went in the late 1950's - early '60's. If you were sitting in his chair, at exactly 12:00 noon, he would stop cutting your hair, sit down and have his lunch. This took exactly 1/2 hour. A sandwich of some type of salami, a hunk of some type of cheese, some fruit, and a small carafe of Chianti wine, a couple glasses. He was a good barber, they wine didn't affect his steadiness with the clippers or razor.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

In Saratoga Wyoming there was a barber I went to as a kid. He cut hair and sold tobacco, plug chew, leaf chew in bulk, cigars. It smelt great,. I remember a backwards clock. He was a diehard Republican and was talking about Clinton when he was in office, about how we should hang him up. Apparently he talked about it to the wrong people and the secret service showed up in our little town and had a talk with him. He had the coolest, Sam Elliott, mustache ever. Good memories

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”