Robeson New Science Concave

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Owd Wullie

Robeson New Science Concave

Post by Owd Wullie »

Found this jewel a while back. Honed it up and it shaves beautifully. Blade is ground with a double concave with more metal being left at the edge. Makes the blade less flexible at the edge. It shaves more like the older heavy grind razors of the mid 19th century without the weight. It is a lot quieter shaving than a full hollow. Robeson razors are fantastic shavers. I have a full hollow that I use occasionally just for grins but the racket of full hollows chopping whiskers is not something I enjoy. The light weight compared compared to the older choppers I tend to use is a nice change.

The lower picture shows the thicker part of the edge area and how far it extends up toward the spine.

The round point shown has the number 3560 on the tang while the square point has the number 1560. I surmise that the first number is the blade shape, the second number is the width, and the third and fourth numbers indicate the grind. Perhaps Charlie can weigh in on that.

I also found a square point version that currently needs some love before it is ready to work. 5/8 is the only size I've seen. May be others but I've not encountered any.
Attachments
New science_1_1.jpg
New science_2.jpg
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Robeson New Science Concave

Post by btrwtr »

Beautiful old razor and great information. Back in the day Robeson didn't do anything second rate.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

::tu:: Handles Look like a Wing bone turkey call :D Hope I Find one like that someday , KC
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Willie, that's a nice razor. I've read on Razor/Straight Shaving sites that Robeson's razors are highly respected and desired.

I have a NSC, but with a less desirable handles.

That one is sometimes thought to be a skeletal finger, but I'm pretty sure it was meant to resemble bamboo.

And I know absolutely nothing re' Robeson razor pattern numbers.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”