Any straight edge users?

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
eveled

Any straight edge users?

Post by eveled »

Do you guys who collect razors, use them? How should I get started? I have razor that came from my great grandfather. I also have a newer strop.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Any straight edge users?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Beginners guide to shaving with a straight razor ---► http://shavelibrary.com/index.php/Begin ... or_shaving

Straight Razor Place Forum ---► http://straightrazorplace.com/ (Say hi to Owd Wullie. I think that's where he hangs out nowadays.)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

eveled wrote:Do you guys who collect razors, use them? How should I get started? I have razor that came from my great grandfather. I also have a newer strop.
.......I have my great grandfather's straight razor, too, it's a MONARCH(1888-1892).....what brand is your's???......... ::tu:: ................
eveled

Post by eveled »

It is a Keen Shaver, Wade & Butcher Sheffield England.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Thanks for the help. I managed to get through a shave, I'm not bleeding. So I will call it a success.

Not sure I'll be giving up my safety razor anytime soon. It came from my Dad's father, I've been using it for 30+ years, and it was old when I got it.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Been using straights for several years now. Learning curve can be painful. My advice is to get a professionally sharpened blade to learn on. May sound crazy but the sharper the blade, the easier the shave.

Blade angle is everything. Try to keep the blade almost flat against your skin. Use a good soap and take your time learning. I use Van Der Hagen shave soap available from Walgreens. It's cheap and does a great job for me. Lots of good info and some mis-info on youtube. Just remember, men shaved with those things for several hundred years before King Gillette came along. ;)

I can do a two pass shave in 10 minutes nowadays if I'm of a mind. Don't usually run it that fast but I can if I need to.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.......I tried twice with my great grandpa's old monarch razor, but I couldn't afford the BANDAIDS!!!.............. ::facepalm:: .........
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I don't, but I gave it a try some time back with razors Willie loaned me.

You cannot just pick up an old razor, strop it and shave. It needs to be properly sharpened, as Willie said, before you can just hone and shave with it.

I had a professional hot towel barber shave once in New Orleans at a shop called Aiden Gill For Men.

One thing they did that I adopted and still do, is use a pre-shave like witch hazel. I've also used a lemon oil based pre-shave, but I prefer the witch hazel. Just ordered a new bottle this week.

Witch hazel is an astringent. It both softens your beard and tightens your skin, which reduces the chance of nicks.

Actually, some sites recommend shaving with nothing but hot water and witch hazel, no soap at all.

Charlie, who still needs to return Willie's two razors.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I use straight razors. Not much of a collector, though. I have eight that I rotate through.
As others have said, you need to start with a professionally honed razor.
Talk to Glen at www.gemstarcustoms.com He's done all mine for me.

For advice, check out the straight razor section of www.theshaveden.com

jerryd6818 wrote:Beginners guide to shaving with a straight razor ---► http://shavelibrary.com/index.php/Begin ... or_shaving

Straight Razor Place Forum ---► http://straightrazorplace.com/ (Say hi to Owd Wullie. I think that's where he hangs out nowadays.)
Jerry, last I knew straight razor place is now only accessible via facebook. That link goes to a GoDaddy "buy this domain name" type window.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

LOL Charlie.

I'd forgotten about those razors. I will share that I have two Robeson "New Science Concave" 5/8 razors. One square point and one round. BOTH are excellent shavers. Honed up beautifully and blow the whiskers off. They act like a much heavier grind razor without the weight. Mr R had it together with that idea. ;)

Glen Mercurio at GENSTAR is good people. He will definitely treat you right.

Steve and Jerry, I don't fool with SRP any more. The site is up as http://www.straightrazorpalace.com seems the owners and the webmaster had a disagreement. Either way, I don't mess with them. A new forum has been opened at https://wetshaversworkshop.com/index.php
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”