KeenKutter razor

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
steve99f

KeenKutter razor

Post by steve99f »

Found this at a flea market a while back. Marked E.Simmons at the top of the KeenKutter logo blade etch. German made with an aluminum handle. Any idea how old this may be? The use of aluminum is kind of interesting. Came with a box. I've attached a couple of pictures.
Attachments
KeenKutter Razor a.JPG
KeenKutter razor b.JPG
steve99f
XX Case XX

Re: KeenKutter razor

Post by XX Case XX »

That's really nice Steve. Wish I knew about straight razors to help you out but I don't. I thought for sure someone here would give some background. I do like that one, it looks pretty clean and it appears to be of some age. Hope you get some information on it.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Thanks Mike, we'll see. Not something I look for but saw it at the flea and the price was right. I do keep an eye out for Case razors but no joy with those yet. Actually any of the older marks would interest me along with a fancy handle and decent condition.
steve99f
thefarside

Post by thefarside »

Steve,
Interesting old razor, attached is a photo of some of the E.C. Simmons etched Keen Kutter, I have in different handle materials. The top two are USA and the bottom two are German.
Jim
Attachments
DSCN4288[1].JPG
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

It's marked "E.C. Simmons"
I have a few straights that are also EC Simmons but they are not as clean as yours.

I had this bookmarked https://www.realorrepro.com/article/Kee ... roductions

I don't think yours is a fake. That site is just for info on the brand.
Yours could have been made anywhere between 1880, and 1940 just from the EC Simmons etch. Big span I know...
One thing that perplexes me is the use of aluminum with no engraving or high relief mold.
If it were the earliest date it would be engraved, and later it would be molded/cast with fancy scroll work, and Keen Kutter on the back scale.
If it is the latest dates I can see a plain set of scales being used because AL was getting pretty common by then.
Soo I am thinking you have a later razor in an early box but that is just my 2 cents. I could be wrong.
I was collecting straights well before I found pocket knives and they are quite a bit easier to ID.

I would suggest cruising the Straight Razor Place forum. You might find your razor there.

Edit:
I just noticed your pins are different... That blade may be in a different set of scales than it started life in.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Blade style says to me 1890s-1920s. If it's a full hollow grind, I'd think closer to the 20'sI'm betting it's a quarter or half hollow with the "hollow point/barber's notch" on the front end.
Neat old razor. Aluminum scales are few and far between.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Gentlemen:

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and insight. The aluminum is what puzzled and attracted me to the razor.
steve99f

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”