Rich Cutlery Hone

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
schmoozer

Rich Cutlery Hone

Post by schmoozer »

Trying to find out more about this company, based in Little Valley NY.
DSCN0744.JPG
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rich Cutlery Hone

Post by btrwtr »

Very interesting hone. Sorry I don't have any specific information. There was a lot of contract work done in Little Valley. Some done for very small concerns as well as what I have heard described as "midnight oil" manufacturing, meaning under the table type, off hour jobs undertaken by factory employees. The fact that there is a box with print points to a Bona Fide endeavor.

The "RICH" in parenthesis is interesting. Perhaps an association with Richanrds & Conover hardware. They did use RICH-CON as a brand.

Here is a Little Valley straight razor that I was unable to find very little information on that is similar to your hone in that respect.

S. L. WRIGHT LITTLE VALLEY N.Y., straight razor. Never seen or heard of this stamp before. Not in Goin's book or Levine's. Research turned up a Sydney Longstreth Wright, banker from Philadelphia PA., Aug. 4, Born 1852 Died Jun. 20, 1927. It seems possible that this individual could have had some razors made on contract or by midnight oil in the Case or Cattaraugus factories.
Attachments
IMG_2762.JPG
IMG_2764.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
schmoozer

Re: Rich Cutlery Hone

Post by schmoozer »

I have found a number of "unknown" stamps as well. Always a mystery that needs some investigating.
Nice article to read - http://historicpath.com/article/cutlers ... w-york-582

It mentions the "Rich" family producing hone boxes to the production line of their lumber empire. Will need to chase them down.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”