Celluloid handles on razors

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Celluloid handles on razors

Post by gsmith7158 »

I have recently become interested in old razors and I have noticed that many of them are equipped with celluloid handles that seem to fare much better on razors than on pocket knives. Is there an explanation for this? Did they use less volatile compounds for these? ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Celluloid handles on razors

Post by Colonel26 »

Greg, I'm not sure. I shave with straight razors and have a couple of celluloid handled ones.

Maybe it's that in use they get cleaned more? Or they aren't oiled like pocket knives? Or they stay in the dark more? I'm not sure. Or the fact that air can circulate around both sides of the celluloid? But you do see several with cracked scales or scales that have been replaced.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Wade those are some interesting thoughts. Some of the celluloid handles I have been looking at are in great shape to be 100 years old.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I don't think there is any difference. If the same celluloids are used I think the chance of outgassing is equal. I have collected many celluloid razors and apply the same rules in buying them as I do for pocket and fixed blades knives. Darker more opaque handles normally pose less risk. I look them over carefully for any signs of decomposing before buying.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

This has probably been discussed before on the forum, but is celluloid susceptible to possible out-gassing on its own. Or, on pocket knives, is there a chemical reaction between the celluloid scale and the liner material, pins, etc. that accelerates the gassing.

Joe D.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

A few years ago while attending a swap meet at the Cal. State University in Northridge Ca. I purchased a "Budweiser Stanhope" pocket knife (Minus the Stanhope) insert from a senior lady, the conversation led to her informing me that she had 20, perhaps 25 very old and beautiful straight razors at home that were originally owned by her Father and Grand Father. She stated that she did not want to sell them but would pass them on to her Son and they were stored in the attic of her home and she had not been "up there" for many years.
As the conversation continued, I asked her if she knew what the material was that are on the handles, she said many different colors and some were in the original boxes. She informed me that the next time her Son came to visit her she would have him retrieve them from the attic. I informed her that if she sent me pictures I would be more than happy to help her obtain the history of her cherished items. We exchanged phone numbers.
About a week to ten days later she called to inform me that her Son had arrived and brought the box containing the razors downstairs. After opening the box she discovered that the beautiful razors no longer existed, just a mess of powder and tarnished rusted steel. I remember her voice distinctively broken and near tears.
I felt very sad for her and was close to tears myself for her pain and a bit guilty for being the one that led her to this terrible discovery. I attempted to inform her that the material was probably made from celluloid and self destructed. I told her not to feel guilty of having them stored in the attic and that I have personally lost many cherished knives due to the same handle material deteriorating and that nothing can stop this process.
The happy side of the story is that her son retrieved some family letters that she had not read in many years.

I am sure the extreme high temperature and humidity in the attic over the years added to the razors destructed demise. (I did not inform her of this)
Attachments
Attic Temp.jpg
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

From what I've seen, the cell handles on razors go south about the same rate as pocket knives. As most razors with cell handles are full hollow grinds, the blades disappear rather rapidly and the whole thing gets tossed.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Interesting discussion! I have quite a few old razors with celluloid handles and none of them have deteriorated. Come to think of it I don't recall ever seeing one out-gassing. I am sure that they do but not in my experience.
Possibly the fact that razors are not oiled may have something to do with it as I have always thought that petroleum products seemed to be a factor in pocket knife handle de-stabilization. I feel that and high temperatures may act together to bring about a chemical reaction.JMHO
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

knife7knut wrote:Interesting discussion! I have quite a few old razors with celluloid handles and none of them have deteriorated. Come to think of it I don't recall ever seeing one out-gassing. I am sure that they do but not in my experience.
Possibly the fact that razors are not oiled may have something to do with it as I have always thought that petroleum products seemed to be a factor in pocket knife handle de-stabilization. I feel that and high temperatures may act together to bring about a chemical reaction.JMHO
Ray I wonder if the fact that most of these old razors have no metal liners could be a factor in reducing the propensity for out-gassing?
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

gsmith7158 wrote:
Ray I wonder if the fact that most of these old razors have no metal liners could be a factor in reducing the propensity for out-gassing?
It is a distinct possibility.It seems to affect brass much more so than steel. I have a small Sta-Sharp pen knife that sits right next to my computer screen that has stainless steel blades that are near mint and the brass liners have corroded so badly that the knife broke in two.It is there to remind me to check my cel-handled knives every month.
I have a Novelty Cutlery Co. letter opener knife that has an ad for a Naval flight training school on one side in near mint condition and the other side had completely rotted away. I had to replace the brass liner as well as the handle. Why bothe sides weren't affected I haven't a clue. Have had that happen to several cel-handled knives I own and it doesn't discriminate as far as country goes.Whether they be USA made or German or whatever.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

knife7knut wrote:Interesting discussion! I have quite a few old razors with celluloid handles and none of them have deteriorated. Come to think of it I don't recall ever seeing one out-gassing. I am sure that they do but not in my experience.
Seen what's left of a lot them. I'm thinking that if they haven't decomposed by now, they're probably not going to unless subjected to some kind of change.

Buddy of mine brought me his "brand new" Puma that he'd bought back in the 80's and never used. When he opened the box to show me, wasn't much left to look at. Scales were pretty much gone and nothing left of the blade other than the spine and shank. He had a long face when he saw that mess.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”