Packwood(?) straight razor.........

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
knife7knut

Packwood(?) straight razor.........

Post by knife7knut »

Bought this one at an estate sale today for $7.50. Stamp looks like PACKWOOD and SILVER STEEL along the side of the spine.Checked a couple razor mfr. sites but no info available. Any ideas on approximate age and country of origin? Handles are fancy molded and looks to be an early form of plastic(possibly gutta percha).
Attachments
PackwoodSilverSteel-7.50 001.jpg
PackwoodSilverSteel-7.50 002.jpg
PackwoodSilverSteel-7.50 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
XX Case XX

Re: Packwood(?) straight razor.........

Post by XX Case XX »

I see only one reference to "Packwood" in Goins: "I am good. I can't be better. I tell you by letter" should be etched on the blade. There is no reference to year or manufacturers info. That's exactly what it says, word-for-word. ::shrug::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
knife7knut

Re: Packwood(?) straight razor.........

Post by knife7knut »

Found a bit of info about it on Badger & Blade. There was a George Packwood who lived in England in the 1700's(died in 1810) that manufactured razor strops and paste(?) and supposedly sold razors with his name on them;although he didn't make them.From what I read of him he was a sort of P.T. Barnum in selling stuff. Even published a book called "The goldfinch's Nest".Supposedly the razors were still being sold up until the 1830's. This kind of jibes with the Silver Steel stamping on the blade as that was used on razors and pocket knives(I have one so stamped)until the 1840's or thereabouts. I'll wait and see if Owd Wullie has any input on it.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”