Custom Handmade Strop

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Custom Handmade Strop

Post by Colonel26 »

I was needing a good strop. I couldn't find a good used one. All of them had cracks and cuts. I looked at some nice new ones. Most were out of my league price wise.

So I went to an Amish saddle shop run by a guy I've known all my life. He's never made one of these before, but I described it to him and his wheels went to turning. (The D ring was my wife's idea). I got the fabric at a local Amish upholstery shop.

My saddle/harness maker friend cut and radiused the leather, sewed the leather and fabric together. I ordered it 3 1/2 inches wide, the knife in the pic is a CASE 3299 1/2 for comparison, the leather/fabric portion is 34 inches long, 37 inches counting the D ring. The leather is bridle leather. He used his leather sewing machine to sew it all together.
IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Custom Handmade Strop

Post by bestgear »

Well done Wade, might I ask what you paid and would he be willing to make more?
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

That's a beauty Colonel!

Anyone care to expound on the old debate as to whether the linen side is really needed?

Dennis
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

That is awesome Wade! . ::tu::
A lot better than the one or two I made.

And YES ... the linen is useful.
Actually I use a heavy cotton canvas. It does a better edge than the veg tanned leather.
YMMV ..../color]
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Wow that's nice. Looks to be very well made. ::tu::

________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks fellers. The hardest part was finding the fabric. The guy at the upholstery shop just happened to have a remnant of some suitable fabric left over from a job. The fabric is lighter than I wanted so I doubled it up. We'll see how it works.
bestgear wrote:Well done Wade, might I ask what you paid and would he be willing to make more?
Shoot me a PM.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Now how do you use it? I have never used one. I take the edge and push it across a whet rock. Do you use the strop backwards from how you use a whet rock?

Monte
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

montemojo wrote:Now how do you use it? I have never used one. I take the edge and push it across a whet rock. Do you use the strop backwards from how you use a whet rock?

Monte
Yes. You push the razor spine forward and flip and pull it back toward you. I just use a old belt for my knives but a razor's cutting edge is very fragile. You want a good smooth strop.
Robert E. Lee
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Very cool Wade ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks Scott!
Robert E. Lee
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

That's a real beauty. I recently got my hands on a piece of flax linen fire hose and plan to make my own strop as soon a I find a piece of nice bridle leather. You got yourself a real prize
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Umcknifeguy wrote:That's a real beauty. I recently got my hands on a piece of flax linen fire hose and plan to make my own strop as soon a I find a piece of nice bridle leather. You got yourself a real prize
Awesome. That firehose linked is supposed to be the best.
Robert E. Lee
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Very nice. Those Amish harness makers are some savvy dudes.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”