18th Century razor...........

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
knife7knut

18th Century razor...........

Post by knife7knut »

Found this one at a local antique shop this afternoon. Marked,"Wolf Acier Fondu". Horn handles with designs made of circles carved into them.Mark is attributed to John Shepherd of Holles Croft who was in business from 1770 to 1795.There is supposed to be a crown over the word Wolf and it has been worn away by sharpening;just barely visible if looked at with a loupe.Not sure if the strop;which has a small drawer in it for the razor is original but it looks old enough to be.The pile side handle has a piece missing from it around the pivot pin but the rest is in good shape(for a 200 plus year old razor).Paid $19.50 plus tax for it which I think was a good deal.
Attachments
WolfAcierFonduRazor-w-Case&Strop-19.50 001.jpg
WolfAcierFonduRazor-w-Case&Strop-19.50 002.jpg
WolfAcierFonduRazor-w-Case&Strop-19.50 004.jpg
WolfAcierFonduRazor-w-Case&Strop-19.50 005.jpg
WolfAcierFonduRazor-w-Case&Strop-19.50 006.jpg
WolfAcierFonduRazor-w-Case&Strop-19.50 007.jpg
WolfAcierFonduRazor-w-Case&Strop-19.50 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Re: 18th Century razor...........

Post by kootenay joe »

Very neat ! You are very astute at noticing the rare or special cutlery items.
kj
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Impressive! (Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go get my powder wig). ::uc:: ::hmm::
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

You hit a home run on that one. Just about any stub tail will bring close to a C note on ebay these days.

Neat old razor and in surprisingly good shape. A lot of the odd hone wear on those old blades is due to the fact that the strops of the day were treated with various grits to "sharpen" the blade rather than using a hone and a slick strop as came along later.

Great catch. ::tu::
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Brian Flowers

Post by Brian Flowers »

Yes , correct , mid to late 17 hundreds , according to the short tang and blade shape . very , very , lucky to find that one.
I collect straights , some 100 plus or so. would love to add that one to my collection , nudge , nudge , wink , wink .
it holds a good bit of value. jus sayin .
again , great find.
Brian

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”