Anyone heard of this maker...Limrick?

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Judstuff

Anyone heard of this maker...Limrick?

Post by Judstuff »

The blade on this is marked "Cast Steel" and "Limrick". Has anyone heard of this maker or know how old this razor might be?
Razor 1.JPG
Razor 2.JPG
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Anyone heard of this maker...Limrick?

Post by Miller Bro's »

That's a very old razor.
AAPK Janitor
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I did a Google search and found a Limerick, Pa.where there is a Straight Razor barbershop and lounge and there is a Limerick, Ireland. What does that mean? ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

That is an old one. Most likely early 1800's.

Figuring out exactly who made it is rather difficult. Records of makers and maker's marks exist from that time period but they are not a lot of fun to dig through. Often the case with razors of that age, the maker chose a word or mark that was no t in use by any other makers and used it as his own. The fact that the blade is marked Limerick probably doesn't have any connotation as to the the blade being made in Limerick. It is possible but unlikely in my experience.

I suspect that that is a Sheffield blade. I'll send the pictures to a friend of mine that is quite knowledgeable of the early Sheffield makers and see if he knows anything of the maker. May take a while so keep checking back.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I would concur that is a VERY old razor! Far from being an expert on razors(or anything else for that matter)I have learned that the length of the protruding part of the tang is a good indicator of age;the shorter they are the older they usually are.Some pre-1800 ones have no protruding tang at all. The "Cast Steel" stamping usually indicates pre 1860 era but I think it is older than that.I would guess around 1800. the Limerick stamping doesn't help. I have several razors of that era and have never been able to find out who made them even though they are stamped.The shield on the handle usually indicates a bit of an upscale piece.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

I'm thinking the stub tail and CAST STEEL mark will probably date it 1820's-1830's.
Got a note with the pictures to a buddy of mine. I'll post his reply when I get it.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Judstuff

Post by Judstuff »

I appreciate the input. I didn't think that it was quite that old. I believe that the name on it is Limrick without an 'E'. I'm sure there were a lot of little producers at the time that would be almost impossible to research.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Here is the information from my friend. It was quite a surprise to me. I was off about 20-30 years with my guess.
My friend's website is http://theshiveringbeggar.com/
He's got some very nice and very old razors along with a lot of interesting information relating to razors.
The problem is that there were a hell of a lot of John Halls making things in Sheffield. 4 different ones in the 1820's! The apprentice lists were even less helpful. Being an "out of towner" he may not have even been properly recorded, or he might have been the John Hall who bought his freedom in 1780ish, which lets in an even more tenuous "maybe he was the father of the John Hall who was making specifically razors in the 1820's".

At least it's really clear that razor was A) made by John Hall and B) made in the late 1700's.

-Zak
Sharrowmoor is listed as hamlet 3 miles SW of Sheffield.
Attachments
Old razor info.JPG
Judstuff

Post by Judstuff »

Wow! That is fantastic information and surprising. I really appreciate the work and research that you guys put into this.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

I hope I don't see it on ebay any time soon. ;)
It's a neat old survivor.
Judstuff

Post by Judstuff »

No, it'll stay with me. I don't know what it could be worth but I probably won't find another one to replace it with.
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

Stub tail razors are typically the oldest you'll find out there.
Bernard Levine's 4th edition has a list of old European Cutlers that is a great resource.
I just did a count of what I have in preparation for a potential trade for some old marbles. Just shy of 100.
I was trying to get out of razors and found this at a friends shop. 7-day set by Eicker & Sohne, the 216 Heartring. All celluloid handles. They look they have never been sharpened. (The day of the week is on the spine so you don't get confused.)
7-day set 001.JPG
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

schmoozer wrote:Stub tail razors are typically the oldest you'll find out there.
Bernard Levine's 4th edition has a list of old European Cutlers that is a great resource.
I just did a count of what I have in preparation for a potential trade for some old marbles. Just shy of 100.
I was trying to get out of razors and found this at a friends shop. 7-day set by Eicker & Sohne, the 216 Heartring. All celluloid handles. They look they have never been sharpened. (The day of the week is on the spine so you don't get confused.)
7-day set 001.JPG
Nice 7 day set.
Been thinking of lightening up my load of razors as well. I only use five or six any more.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”