Dad's stuff

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Edgewise

Dad's stuff

Post by Edgewise »

My first time on the straight razor forum but I'm not a collector.
I found this stuff in Dad's kit and was interested to hear what anyone had to say about them, especially the rather stiff strands of I don't know what wrapped in brown paper accompanying the razor, and also the little strop thing with the cog wheels.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The first time I saw these things was after his death because he always used a safety razor in my time and these razors have not been touched for at least sixty years.
I don't know if they are old enough to be my grandfather's which my father kept but never used, or if Dad used it in the RAF during WWll.
Grandfather died about 60 years ago.
I also have his leather strop with canvas on the back.
I remember as a kid these strops hanging on the barbers chairs and they would grab one end and flip the razor back and forth a few times before cutting my hair. No electric clippers then, only scissors, comb and straight razor.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Dad's stuff

Post by carrmillus »

....your straight razor looks identical to my great grandfathers,same shape, same handles, only his was a MONARCH-1888-1892...... ::tu:: .........
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Both of the straights are from venerable old Sheffield houses. The Wm Rodgers has some corrosion on the edge which may or may not kill its current width to remove for use. Edges on full hollows are extremely thin and usually any corrosion requires the edge to be moved back/up/away in order to get to sound metal. Both appear to be 1900-1920's.

Not real familiar with the auto-strop razor as I don't mess with 'em enough to tell you anything other than it looks to be from approximately the same era.

I had a 6/8 (3/4" wide) Taylor's 1000 and traded it for something. It was a good razor but I don't care for full hollow grind shaves as they're noisy, the edge flexes, and they're light in hand compared to the half hollows that I prefer.

I don't think Taylor or Wm Rodgers ever made anything that wasn't good. I have some of Joseph Rodgers (completely different maker with a similar name and also from Sheffield) earlier vintage razors somewhere in my pile as well as an early Taylor that I dearly love to shave with.

Price wise, those style razors don't generally command a lot of money. The family connection is priceless. I wish I had some of my grand father's old shaving gear.

Here's a link to some info on Wm Rodgers.
http://strazors.com/uploads/images/arti ... istory.pdf

And some info on Taylor
http://strazors.com/index.php?id=260&do ... _sheffield_

The gent that posted that info is in Israel. Very knowledgeable and a true gentleman.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

Thanks for the replies guys.
Owd Wullie you came through for me again. Now I have all I need to know.
I'm guessing the strands are for testing the edge before shaving, because cutting paper or shaving arm hair would already spoil a hair splitting edge. :)
I checked out the automatic strop on google and now I know what the little thin leather strop is for. :) [attachment=0]image.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
image.jpeg

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”