Wester Bros N.Y. De-Fi Junior

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
kootenay joe

Wester Bros N.Y. De-Fi Junior

Post by kootenay joe »

I am a knife collector and know almost nothing about straight razors. These are ebay seller's pictures.
The box looks 'too' new to be true vintage. LG4 lists Wester Bros as 1902 to circa 1967, so this razor is likely towards the 1967 date.
Blade is said to be 2.5" and razor with blade extended is 8.5".
I presume "Junior" razor refers to the short blade length ? Is there a specific purpose for the short blade ?
It was a B.I.N. for $22, so i had to buy it. Now i would like help to understand what it is i have bought. Any info about Wester razors in general and about this De-Fi Junior in particular will be much appreciated.
thanks, kj
Attachments
s-l1600Wester.jpg
s-l1600 WB.jpg
s-l1600 3.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: Wester Bros N.Y. De-Fi Junior

Post by kootenay joe »

I have this razor now. It looks to be never used and is shaving sharp just as the label on the inner box section says : "This razor is sharp and ready for shaving".
Handle is ivory celluloid.
Would be great to hear from someone who knows the "De-Fi" line of Wester razors and maybe a picture of the De-Fi "Senior". Length of shaving edge is 2 1/2", which is a little shorter than a standard razor and like accounts for the "Junior" designation.
Are Wester razors some of the more highly collectible ones ?
Is this one likely from the end of Wester being imported to USA which was mid 1960's ?
kj
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Wester Bros are not among the more sought after razors to collect. They're good razors to use if you're of a mind. Solingen razors with the exception of a very few are pretty much "users". I've got a couple hundred razors and most were bought/traded for with the intention of using. Bought a few to collect primarlily bacause I liked the size and make. Got close to 60 out of that bunch that I've gotten to "shaving status". Still end up using one of 7 or 8 most of the time.

Judging from what I can see of the pics, it looks like that razor has been on a hone a few times. Doesn't look "shave ready" to me. Better pics might change my mind. Appears to have some dark spots along the edge. Full hollow grinds have an extremely thin edge and any rust or pitting on the edge is not good. That razor appears to have some stains which generally indicate it was used.

Generally speaking, the older Sheffield made razors, along with some French, and Dubl-Ducks from Germany command the higher prices. Condition is pretty much everything. Size of the blade matters as the wide blades command higher prices.

I rarely buy a full hollow ground razor as I don't care for them to use. I've got a few that I use, but mostly I use the older Mid-1800's quarter and half hollow ground razors. They aren't near as noisy as a full hollow like yours. Personal preference. I also like the weight of the heavier blades.

As far as the "shave ready" statement, If that razor won't cut arm hair above the skin, it's not shave ready. It might shave, but it will eat your face and it won't be any fun.

I don't think you got hurt on the price, but that's about where it or any like it will usually sell for.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wullie, thanks for your post.
What about the short blade length ? is this for a specific purpose ? or just personal preference, some men preferring the short blade ?
kj
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

A lot of the smaller razors were referred to as "travel" razors. Took up a bit less space in your shaving bag/kit.

There are some examples of travel sets that date back to late 1700's/early 1800's that were comprised of one handle and anywhere from two to seven blades. That way you didn't have to hone if you were going to be out adventuring. They are usually pretty small compared to the other razors of the era.

Some guys liked the smaller razors. Best I can figure is the market filling a want or creating a need. ;)
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”