Types of strops?

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
knife7knut

Re: Types of strops?

Post by knife7knut »

Cowdiddly wrote:
I also have one a very special stone, its a huge black Arkansas that if I ever dropped it, I would probably quit shaving.
Anything like this? A Carborundum Duo-Stone 2 inch by 12 inch on either side(a coarse and fine).
Attachments
Carborundum Duo-Stone No.92 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Those razor dudes have a language all their own. Willie, I didn't understand a word either one of you said. ::uc::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Lee,
Since you want to sharpen knives and not razors, I would suggest a Power Strop:
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/pws20/

This Power Strop is designed for wood carving knives as well as for other knives. The large wheel is 3-1/2" and is available without the "V" shaped wheel: http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/pws10/

I have a six-inch leather wheel that I have on a small bench grinder that I use to finish the edges on my knives.
I can’t remember where I got the 6 inch wheel, but I think it was from Jantz Supply.

I think the six-inch leather wheel and the Flex-Cut gold polishing compound works very well to debur and polish the edge of a knife. Though I have used Yellowstone honing compound and white jewelers rouge as well. The Flex-Cut gold compound seems to work best for me.

Razors strops will work fine on knives it just takes more time and effort.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

jerryd6818 wrote:Those razor dudes have a language all their own. Willie, I didn't understand a word either one of you said. ::uc::
LOL
JNAT= Japanese Natural stone. Stones mined from various locations in Japan. Each is pretty unique as far as cutting ability. Different mines located within the country produce stones that cut from course to fine. For the most part they are very expensive and no two are exactly the same so you have to "learn" your stone to get the most out of it. Natural stones from Europe, Africa, and the US, have their own cult followings.

16K = 16,000 grit. Pretty much non cutting as far as removing metal, it does leave a mirror shine on the edge.

Naniwas/Choseras are synthetic water stones made in Japan. My Chosera is approx 1,000 grit and my Naniwa stones are 5,000, 8,000, 10,000 and 12,000 grit.
Bevel is set with the 1K Chosera and finished on a progression through the higher grits until all the cut marks from the previous grit are gone. 12,000 grit makes a mirror finish too. Advantages are price and consistency.

Shapton stones are glass with the cutting media in the glass. They range up to 30,000 grit. Not many blades out there will hold an edge made by a 30K stone.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Willie. Blades with another level. You've done and got yourself deep into it. Good to "see" your smiling face.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”