the shaving products thread

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Umcknifeguy

the shaving products thread

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Not so much for straight razor collectors as users, but would like to hear recommendations or reviews on different shaving prouducts for us wet shavers. What kind of soaps, creams, aftershaves, brushes, strops, de blades, or any other product you would recommend or shy away from. I use

Creams:
Gabels brushless cream: strong menthol smell but great stuff
Edge non foaming cream: plesant smell and a smooth shave
African black soap shave butter: great stuff but can be a little pricey
Cremo: dont like it, dries fast and hard to keep wet

Aftershaves:
Stephans bay rum: light bay leaf and clove smell that doesnt hang around too long. Very toning
Gabels lime: also a good skin toner, lime scent also doesnt linger
Pinaud clubman: not crazy about the smell but just the right anount of burn and feels great on the skin
Barbasol pacific rush: little burn up front then cooling

Soap
The only one ive tried so far that I was crazy about is the vander hagen glycerin.
Im waiting on a few ogallalla bay rum soaps to try
Adding about 5 drops of the shave secret oil you can get at cvs or walgreens really adds to any soap and has a clove smell you get from bay rum

Any body else have any recommendations or dislikes
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: the shaving products thread

Post by Colonel26 »

I like feather DE blades.

No creams in a can! They dry your skin and absorb the water you need for a good shave. I'm using Taylor's of Old Bond Street sandalwood soap puck right now. I love it. It's a real tallow based soap, and it gives real good smooth shaves.

I'm using a Parker badger bristle brush. It's not the highest end or the lowest, but I like it real good. I do wish I'd gotten a longer handle though.

For aftershave I use an alum block right after shaving, when it dries a splash of witch hazel, and some Nivea aftershave balm. If I want fragrance then I just pick one.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

The only de blades ive tried are astra and the big ben stainless that I got in a sampler pack. The astras are ok but I dont like the big bens

I use a omega boar bristle brush as I wasnt too sure how the softer badger bruses would lather soap. Im looking at a parker badger brush myself lately. I figured the heavier ones may help with lather
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

I like the Van Der Hagen green box soap. Wife bought some of that African Black butter for me but I don't care for it. Can't stand the smell of Williams soap.

Old Spice after shave works great for me. Got some French MUSGO REAL after shave, smells good but leaves your skin kind of oily.

As for DE blades? The stainless blades they sell at CVS are made in Israel and shave really smooth. I use a DE about once every two months. Rest of the time it's straights for me as I can get a closer shave with a straight than I can with a DE. Wife says my whiskers are brutal sharp after I get stubbly from a DE shave. Not quite bad after a straight shave. I can tell the difference too.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

One of these days I'm going to get a decent straight razor and give it a try. I might cut my throat, but I'm going to try it.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

For me shaving is a chore more than anything else.I use some aerosol stuff and an old Gillette double edge with some old gold colored Gillette blades.I tried a straight razor many years ago but could never get the hang of using one.My ex-wife was a beautician and used one all the time and tried to show me the proper way to hold it and such:an exercise in futility.
I have to be careful shaving(especially the neck area)because of extensive scar tissue remaining on my neck from surgeries(long story).I have had a moustache and goatee for more years than I can remember because of that.My full beard was destroyed after radiation therapy in 2001. Most of the time I just say the h*ll with it and don't shave.
Never used after shave;reminds me too much of some of the ladies I've encountered over the years (lol).
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Colonel26 wrote:One of these days I'm going to get a decent straight razor and give it a try. I might cut my throat, but I'm going to try it.
You're more apt to cut your lip or your ear.. ::rotflol::

Besides, guys shaved with longer with straights than they have with double edged razors.

It's a skill with a bit of a steep learning curve, but by no means insurmountable.

All I can say is if you are going to try, use a razor that is ready to shave. Straights can feel sharp and pop arm hair and not be shave ready. If the blade will cut arm hair a half inch above the skin, then it's close enough to shave with. If it won't do that, all it will do is eat your face and piss you off. :wink:
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

So if a feller wanted to try out this straight razor shaving, where would you recommend starting? I've looked at the prices and they're all over the place for new razors. Do you really need to spend $100 or better to get a good razor? I might have to stick with DE......
Robert E. Lee
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Colonel, id stick to buying from a reliable dealer. Also just because you buy a factory fresh new razor doesnt mean your getting a shave ready razor. So id prefer to buy from someone who takes the time to make them shave ready before shipping them. A lot of these dealers also offer at least the first honing free.

I have heard those gold dollar brand razors make a good entry level razors and are moderately priced. They are chinaman made so I wouldnt expect to get a dovo for the $20 - 40 price tags ive seen on them, but they could give you a feel of straight shaving and whether or not its for you, before you sink big bucks into a quality razor.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Colonel26 wrote:So if a feller wanted to try out this straight razor shaving, where would you recommend starting? I've looked at the prices and they're all over the place for new razors. Do you really need to spend $100 or better to get a good razor? I might have to stick with DE......
If you want new steel, then you'll pay big $$ for a quality razor. Gold Dollar razors are made in China. They're cheap and cheaply made. Every one has issues, but they have good steel and can be made into good shavers if you want to invest the time. I don't recommend that route. The new DOVO's, Thiers-Issards, and Bokers do not come ready to shave. They say they are, but......... Some of the distributors will make them ready to shave at purchase.

Buying a vintage razor is a crap shoot if you're not familiar with them. Even if you buy one locally, if you don't know what to look for you can still buy a bunch of problems even though it may look good. After you get one, then you have to find somebody with the right gear to make it shave ready.

Shoot me a PM with a phone number and I'll be glad to visit with you about some other options available.

www.whippeddog.com sells reasonably priced shave ready older razors. Larry is a good guy too. He's local to me and I've met him personally.
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Just tried out the ogalalla bay rum soap tonite. I gotta say the best shaving soap ive used to date. You get a very nice lather and quickly. Made for a very close comfortable shave. I used the bay rum & sweet orange scent and was very pleased by the smell. Ogalalla makes some great stuff!
demonr6

Post by demonr6 »

Proraso that comes in a green tube and sold at Bath & Body works for about eight bucks. During the holidays you can get a two-fer and save money. The thing will last you at least a year if not more. It has a nice menthol smell if you are into that, lathers well too.

If you are interested in a decent straight razor Colonel send me a message and I would be glad to help you find something. I have a large, and ever growing collection of vintage razors American, German and some English as well. I am partial to Genco/Geneva Cutlery myself. I would recommend you avoid the Chinese razors as they are inferior steel and quality control is garbage. You can get a very good vintage straight under $50 that is shave ready. I have a number of razors under $25 that I was just lucked out on. I tend to clean them up, get them honed and use them as I prefer the character of an old razor. Sending it out to get completely restored is great for some but I think it is unnecessary. If you look at the pic I posted recently in the forum of the straight I just acquired.. that was under $20 and aside from getting it cleaned up and honed I am not doing anything else. I don't personally hone so I send it to a friend who does it for me.

Good news, I just checked the website and it's on sale! Mix and match 3 for $12 or buy two get one free. You will have shave cream for your kids.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/search/ ... oraso&sr=1
JWheeler331

Post by JWheeler331 »

Thanks for the post within this thread. I have been wanting to try a straight razor for a while now and the links provided above will come in handy.

When I was a kid I was lucky enough to hang around my Great Grandfather for a while. I don't remember what he used but know he used a straight razor. When I think back I remember loving the way he smelled after a fresh shave and I remember the smell of his pipes that he smoked.

Not knowing what the different shave soaps smell like I may try as many as possible in order to try to find the smell that I remember as a kid.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

demonr6 wrote:Proraso that comes in a green tube and sold at Bath & Body works for about eight bucks. During the holidays you can get a two-fer and save money. The thing will last you at least a year if not more. It has a nice menthol smell if you are into that, lathers well too.

If you are interested in a decent straight razor Colonel send me a message and I would be glad to help you find something. I have a large, and ever growing collection of vintage razors American, German and some English as well. I am partial to Genco/Geneva Cutlery myself. I would recommend you avoid the Chinese razors as they are inferior steel and quality control is garbage. You can get a very good vintage straight under $50 that is shave ready. I have a number of razors under $25 that I was just lucked out on. I tend to clean them up, get them honed and use them as I prefer the character of an old razor. Sending it out to get completely restored is great for some but I think it is unnecessary. If you look at the pic I posted recently in the forum of the straight I just acquired.. that was under $20 and aside from getting it cleaned up and honed I am not doing anything else. I don't personally hone so I send it to a friend who does it for me.

Good news, I just checked the website and it's on sale! Mix and match 3 for $12 or buy two get one free. You will have shave cream for your kids.

Wow, I don't know how I missed this way back last year!

I have become a convert. I'm a big fan of prorasso, both the shave cream and the aftershave.

Willie worked on my great uncle's old razor for me, and gifted me another one and now that's all I use.
Robert E. Lee
JWheeler331

Post by JWheeler331 »

Colonel26 wrote:
demonr6 wrote:Proraso that comes in a green tube and sold at Bath & Body works for about eight bucks. During the holidays you can get a two-fer and save money. The thing will last you at least a year if not more. It has a nice menthol smell if you are into that, lathers well too.

Wow, I don't know how I missed this way back last year!

I have become a convert. I'm a big fan of prorasso, both the shave cream and the aftershave.

Willie worked on my great uncle's old razor for me, and gifted me another one and now that's all I use.
I have been looking for a razor online and hit a few spots locally for shave soap and aftershave but no one had anything other than old spice. I will end up trying something from online I guess.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Until I found a local barber shop that stocked it, the only place I could find the prorasso shaving cream was either on line out at Bed Bath and Beyond. They sell it in a green metal fund under their own name, Bigelow something or other.

The prorasso aftershave is amazing stuff. Other than the local Barber Shop I found the only other place is in line. Some eBay retailers all a deal with the cream, aftershave, etc all in one.
Robert E. Lee
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life.

I've been using a lot of artisan shave soaps and after shaves lately so I figured I'd make a few recommendations.

Pheonix artisan accoutrements: I've used several of their soaps and after shaves. In my opinion they are top of the line, couldn't find a better product at even 4 or 5 times the cost. I have used their soaps in their speakeasy scent along with the matching after shave. One of my favorites is their CaD, which pair's perfectly with Fine's American blend

Razorock is probably my second favorite soaps and after shaves. Top notch products that can out perform products that cost several times more. My favorite is "the stallion" soap and matching after shave

Fine accoutrements after shaves is another I recommend. They keep their ingretints list to a whopping 4 ingredients, so in this case simple is better. American blend is reminescient of a can of shaving cream but smells about 20 times better, and will pair well with Damn near any soap or cream. Platnum is a cologne type scent that will also pair week with just about anything.
JWheeler331

Post by JWheeler331 »

Thanks for the insight.

There is a guy on YouTube who goes by the user name or channel name Nick Shaves. He has lots of videos where he is reviewing shaving items such as soaps, aftershaves and other items.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

It's expensive and now that I'm retired, I probably will stop buying it, but the products from Trufitt & Hill, an English company that's been in business for a couple of hundred years, since 1805, are excellent.

They make their shave cream and balm in several different scents. I like "Grafton".

A tub of shave cream will cost about $48.00 on-line and I think the aftershave balm is a bit less.

I have gone through two tubs and two bottles, but I do not use it for every shave, if you get my drift. ::ds::

I have just started using The Dollar Shave Club and I like the shave butter they sell. It does not lather at all, but it does a good job and is great for the skin.

That will probably replace the Trufitt & Hill.

Wullie mentioned African Black Soap. I bought a tub of that at Walgreen's. It was OK, but I couldn't stand the order of it. Smelled moldy.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

We’ve all heard that “you can’t teach and old dog new tricks”. I’m an old dog, but I recently learned a new trick. Shave Secret shaving oil. Did a search here and found a couple of old threads that mention it. So I’m resurrecting this one.

I’ve been shaving for about 55 years, using various different shaving creams, razors, lotions, etc during that time. My oldest son recently gave me a bottle (1.2oz) of Shave Secret, recommended I try it. I’d never heard of it. I was skeptical, but I tried it, applied according to directions on the bottle. It’s totally amazing! I’ve used it for a month now. Close, smooth shave without any razor drag, burn, or irritation of any kind. Better than any shave cream or soap I’ve ever used, and I’ve tried most of them, from the most well-known to the cheapest. I think it’s making my razor blades last longer too. I’m not a straight razor user - Dollar Shave Club guy. Just thought I’d tell y’all about Shave Secret shave oil in case anyone wants to give it a try. ::tu:: ::tu:: https://www.shavesecret.com/shave-secret-4-pack/. BTW It’s made in USA.
Why shaving oil? When you want to reduce friction on any surface, you use a lubricant to create less drag. With less razor drag there is less chance of nicks, cuts and rashes. Your beard no matter where it is, is like uncooked pasta. Hard and brittle. The oils soak into the hair which fattens and softens them. Like well cooked pasta this leads to less tensile strength thus allowing the razor to cut more easily. The oils help prevent the rusting and pitting of the blades which will make your blades last longer. In normal shaving soaps, most contain some form of salt which corrodes and rusts the blade.
Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Samb

Post by Samb »

For me it's a five blade razor and warm water, more money for knives.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”