the shaving products thread

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: the shaving products thread

Post by Colonel26 »

Until I found a local barber shop that stocked it, the only place I could find the prorasso shaving cream was either on line out at Bed Bath and Beyond. They sell it in a green metal fund under their own name, Bigelow something or other.

The prorasso aftershave is amazing stuff. Other than the local Barber Shop I found the only other place is in line. Some eBay retailers all a deal with the cream, aftershave, etc all in one.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life.

I've been using a lot of artisan shave soaps and after shaves lately so I figured I'd make a few recommendations.

Pheonix artisan accoutrements: I've used several of their soaps and after shaves. In my opinion they are top of the line, couldn't find a better product at even 4 or 5 times the cost. I have used their soaps in their speakeasy scent along with the matching after shave. One of my favorites is their CaD, which pair's perfectly with Fine's American blend

Razorock is probably my second favorite soaps and after shaves. Top notch products that can out perform products that cost several times more. My favorite is "the stallion" soap and matching after shave

Fine accoutrements after shaves is another I recommend. They keep their ingretints list to a whopping 4 ingredients, so in this case simple is better. American blend is reminescient of a can of shaving cream but smells about 20 times better, and will pair well with Damn near any soap or cream. Platnum is a cologne type scent that will also pair week with just about anything.
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
JWheeler331

Post by JWheeler331 »

Thanks for the insight.

There is a guy on YouTube who goes by the user name or channel name Nick Shaves. He has lots of videos where he is reviewing shaving items such as soaps, aftershaves and other items.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

It's expensive and now that I'm retired, I probably will stop buying it, but the products from Trufitt & Hill, an English company that's been in business for a couple of hundred years, since 1805, are excellent.

They make their shave cream and balm in several different scents. I like "Grafton".

A tub of shave cream will cost about $48.00 on-line and I think the aftershave balm is a bit less.

I have gone through two tubs and two bottles, but I do not use it for every shave, if you get my drift. ::ds::

I have just started using The Dollar Shave Club and I like the shave butter they sell. It does not lather at all, but it does a good job and is great for the skin.

That will probably replace the Trufitt & Hill.

Wullie mentioned African Black Soap. I bought a tub of that at Walgreen's. It was OK, but I couldn't stand the order of it. Smelled moldy.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

We’ve all heard that “you can’t teach and old dog new tricks”. I’m an old dog, but I recently learned a new trick. Shave Secret shaving oil. Did a search here and found a couple of old threads that mention it. So I’m resurrecting this one.

I’ve been shaving for about 55 years, using various different shaving creams, razors, lotions, etc during that time. My oldest son recently gave me a bottle (1.2oz) of Shave Secret, recommended I try it. I’d never heard of it. I was skeptical, but I tried it, applied according to directions on the bottle. It’s totally amazing! I’ve used it for a month now. Close, smooth shave without any razor drag, burn, or irritation of any kind. Better than any shave cream or soap I’ve ever used, and I’ve tried most of them, from the most well-known to the cheapest. I think it’s making my razor blades last longer too. I’m not a straight razor user - Dollar Shave Club guy. Just thought I’d tell y’all about Shave Secret shave oil in case anyone wants to give it a try. ::tu:: ::tu:: https://www.shavesecret.com/shave-secret-4-pack/. BTW It’s made in USA.
Why shaving oil? When you want to reduce friction on any surface, you use a lubricant to create less drag. With less razor drag there is less chance of nicks, cuts and rashes. Your beard no matter where it is, is like uncooked pasta. Hard and brittle. The oils soak into the hair which fattens and softens them. Like well cooked pasta this leads to less tensile strength thus allowing the razor to cut more easily. The oils help prevent the rusting and pitting of the blades which will make your blades last longer. In normal shaving soaps, most contain some form of salt which corrodes and rusts the blade.
Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Samb

Post by Samb »

For me it's a five blade razor and warm water, more money for knives.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”