Electric Cutlery Co.

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
knife-nut

Electric Cutlery Co.

Post by knife-nut »

At work a week ago, I was sent on a service call. I needed a helper and the shop had a new guy go with me. At lunch time we went to a local restaurant to eat. He wanted to wait in the truck while I ate as he didn't have any money. I couldn't let him not eat so I bought his lunch for him. Did'nt really think anything about it, as he was a nice kid and a good helper. On Monday morning I needed a helper again and he got to go with me. Well, as we are driving to the job he gives me this razor he bought over the weekend for me. He knew I liked old knives and razors and this was his way of repaying me for the lunch. What a nice kid. He probably spent way more for the razor than what the lunch cost. Its not very often a twenty year old kid has this kind of morals. It really blew me away. The razor is much prettier than the picture shows. Mark.
Attachments
62914 031.JPG
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Electric Cutlery Co.

Post by btrwtr »

Good deeds are repaid, sometimes sooner than later. Nice story and nice looking razor!

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Two nice guys Mark and his helper!!!

Harold
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I see two guys as big winners. That's a nice razor that young man gave you.
Joe
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Wonderful gesture and a NICE old razor. ::tu::
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
KAW

Post by KAW »

Okay, after lurking about the board for a better part of a year... I'm sticking my big toe in here....
Not that I'm a collector of razors. I'm a local history nut & about two years ago I discovered about the knife manufactures in Ulster Co., NY. The more I learned, the more I got sucked into collecting the knives from those fascinating enterprises. However, last May, I came across on the bay a straight razor with a tang stamp: New York Knife Co. / Walden, N.Y. I have not come across anything even hinting that they made razors. Even more bizarre was the seller's location was in Estonia (formerly part of Russia). Fortunately the price was low enough to take a gamble. It looks great!... but is it authentic?

Then I found this thread... and hope there is a genuine connection here. In 1903, the Fuller Bros. of Electric Cutlery Co., Newark, NJ purchased New York Knife Co. and ironically that factory and their Hammer Brand line almost immediately became the primary operation. The Newark plant was closed down in 1910 and the Electric Cutlery Co. line manufactured at Walden was discontinued in 1920.

Apparently, Electric had a product line of straight razors. After "merging" with NY Knife, did they continue the line under the new name (hence explaining the razor in the photo)? ....perhaps still making them in Newark until 1910? ....or did they move the operation to Walden as the tang stamp suggests? ....an inquiring mind wants to know.
NYK_Razor.jpg
NYK_Razor_tang.jpg
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
KAW

Post by KAW »

Lo & behold.... I found this photo in the thread titled....
"Re: Old Fancy Handle Straight Razor`s" posted by Miller Bro's » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:50 pm.

The knife on the left looks exactly like mine except he states they are Electric Cutlery Co. Razors.
....still hoping it is possible they continued making the same razor after the merger using the NY Knife name....
ElectricRazors.JPG
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”