Timor

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
OSCAR

Timor

Post by OSCAR »

I collect knives but the razors I use to shave are Dovo. Recently I bought a pack of Timor double edge blades to try and they are best I’ve used. Now I want to buy more straight razors and Timor razors are cheaper than Dovo. My question is about the quality. Has anyone out there shaved with Timor straight razors and how do they compare to Dovo ? Thanks. Oscar
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
BFORSE

Re: Timor

Post by BFORSE »

I’ve been straightrazor shaving for about 15 years. I’ve shaved with old ones and newer ones, English, German, and American steel.

That being said, steel quality, grind and blade width are important.

It’s been my experience that just about every razor that came out of Sheffield or solingen pre-1960s is good quality steel.

There are many different grinds that offer different ranges of flexibility. Selecting a particular grind is based on the subjective opinion of the one shaving.

Blade width also affects performance. The wider the blade, the easier it is for me to judge the proper angle of attack. Also in conjunction with grind type the wider blade will flex more than a narrower blade with the same grind.

Price is also one of my considerations. I can buy an old one that is exactly what I want for the same price as a new one that doesn’t meet all of my requirements.

One of my go to favorites is an 8/8 (1 inch wide) hollow ground Wade & Butcher that was made in the 1800’s.
It met all the parameters I was looking for in a razor.
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”