Brushy Mountain-End of the Line

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
unionpawn

Brushy Mountain-End of the Line

Post by unionpawn »

Lucky enough to come across some cool knives in my business. I thought this was a really neat piece. It's a Frank Buster Fightin Rooster Stockman with wood handles. The really cool thing is the blade. It reads:
Brushy Mountain, End of the Line, 1983, 1 of 500. This knife is stamped 432. It has the Tennessee mountains and a little electric chair.

Residents of Tennessee are probably familiar with the old Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary that was operated since the late 1800's up until a few years ago. I'm guessing these knives were a custom order for guards/staff? Would love to hear any thoughts or comments.
image.jpeg
Attachments
image.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Brushy Mountain-End of the Line

Post by jerryd6818 »

I looked it up and it closed in 2009. So I would be of the opinion it was not made to commemorate the closing of the prison. ::uc::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
unionpawn

Post by unionpawn »

jerryd6818 wrote:I looked it up and it closed in 2009. So I would be of the opinion it was not made to commemorate the closing of the prison. ::uc::
Appreciate you checking on it. I'm going under the assumption it was made in 1983, due to that being on the blade? I can't find any significant 1983 event that would indicate its a special year.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Perhaps they stopped using the chair for executions that year?
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That electric chair has to be one of the most different blade etches that I have ever seen! I am guessing that the 1983 date is closer than the 2009 just because electric chairs were more politically incorrect by 2009.
Mel
9ball

Post by 9ball »

I used to hunt, jeep and backpack in that area of 10EC. Back in the mid 80's I got to visit the Big House with a locksmith friend of mine. Never again after that. It sets at the bottom of a horseshoe shaped mountain range i.e. Frozen Head State Park if you are ever in the area, stop by. James Earl Ray ran up it, hound doggies on his tail. And that he was still crawling away when they finally caught him!
I will/can check and see if I can any info about the guards next time I am downstairs! The way I understand, Frank just made stuff with these saying on it. The only one I recall other that club knives was some for the Tennessee Highway Patrol and the Invisible Empire knife.
I was in the Army with a guy from Newport who was a guard there after the service. I ain't seen him in years, but it caused him to drink alot and I mean he was in a Detox Unit last I seen him. Man, he said it was hard on him ::nod:: .
Facts.......Nothing, but Facts. ::handshake::
http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/po ... /12196209/
My Oath as an American Army Soldier did not come with an expiration date.
Randy browning

Post by Randy browning »

I got knife 7of 500need any info
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

Great piece love it ::tu::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I realize this is an old thread, but that is an interesting knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “European-made knives”