Newbie that needs help

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
pencilman12

Newbie that needs help

Post by pencilman12 »

Hey guys, I am new to the site and was wondering if some of the experts here could tell me if grandpa's knives have any value.
Thanks in advance. I'm trying to post pictures hope it works.
Attachments
IMG_0531.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG
IMG_0542.JPG
IMG_0543.JPG
XX Case XX

Re: Newbie that needs help

Post by XX Case XX »

Hello!! Welcome to AAPK ::welcome::

Don't know very much about Fight'n Roosters but those are some very nice knives. The handles appear to be "Mother of Pearl" or what is generally known as MOP. If they are, that's very good. In general terms, it looks like you have a Barlow, Dr's Knife, Toothpick, Whittler, and maybe a two-blade Jack knife.

If you do a search for these knives on this site, I think you'll find a FR knife for sale pretty much like the 4th picture from the top of the individual knife photos you posted (Whittler). That should give you a good place to start placing some sort of value on those knives you have.

You asked if your Grandfathers knives had any value. Well, "value" can be subjective. The value of something pretty much depends on what someone is willing to pay for it, if you're talking about monetary value. If you're talking about a family keepsake, those knives are priceless. So it all depends on how you look at it.

You can also do a search on eBay for those types of FR knives and see what they're selling for and that can also give you some idea. From what I can see in the pictures you posted, those knives look to be in very good condition. They appear to be well taken care of. Hopefully, someone with a bit more knowledge about FR knives will come along and chime in, but that should get you started.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Welcome to AAPK, Pencilman.

Those are nice looking knives and if I were looking at them on Ebay I would expect them to go for a around $100 each, just at a guess. But if they had been my grandfather's knives I would never sell them. Like Mike said, they are priceless as a family keepsake. If you do not want to keep them yourself one of those knives would be a terrific gift for another family member who knew your grandfather.
Mel
pencilman12

Post by pencilman12 »

Thanks guys. He has in the neighborhood of 150 knives. Mostly Case early 70's. These fight n rooster with Mop just didn't seem to fit with the rest of his collection. Everything else is bone or stag. Thanks again for the comments. I look forward to learning more!!!
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

pencilman12 wrote:Thanks guys. He has in the neighborhood of 150 knives. Mostly Case early 70's. These fight n rooster with Mop just didn't seem to fit with the rest of his collection. Everything else is bone or stag. Thanks again for the comments. I look forward to learning more!!!
Hello Pencilman. Welcome to AAPK.
I have only been a member of AAPK since July 2016 but I have been collecting & researching Pocket Knives for many years.
Yes, your pictures came out well on this end.
I am not a "Fight'n Rooster" professional, however I do have many Roosters.
You have 5 beautiful Genuine Mother of Pearl Fight'n Roosters.
I can see that they would stand out from your Grand Fathers other knives.
From the dates of your Roosters, I believe all 5 would have the older "Frank Buster Cutlery Co. Stamp.
All 5 are marked "Middle Tennessee Knife Collectors"
The prices I will note below are the "Value Prices" given by "Jim Parker" in 1994/1995 and have nothing to do with today's or tomorrows value.
I will list the information below to correspond with the order of your pictures. (From top to bottom) By the way, you have posted them correctly in accordance to the manufacturing date of each knife. From 1978 to 1982.

1st Rooster: Barlow pattern from the "Southern Bound Set" "Hard to find" 1978, 200 produced. Value $200.00

2nd Rooster: Doctors Knife pattern. 1979 Club Knife, 300 produced. Value 135.00

3rd Rooster: Powderhorn pattern. 1980/1981 Club Knife, 400 produced. Value $150.00

4th Rooster: Lockback Whittler pattern. 1981 Club Knife, 400 produced. Value $150.00

5th Rooster: Irish Congress pattern. 1982 Club Knife, 400 produced. Value $120.00

So, there you have it. Total value in 1994/1995: $755.00

In reading an earlier post of yours on AAPK I see that your Grand Father also has approx. 150 mostly Case early 1970s knives? WOW A dream collection.

Let me "ramble-on" here a bit.

In the mid 1950s, I was 7 to 8 years old. (I am 68 years old now) We lived in the country in Southern Texas, just a rocks throw from the Mexican border. I would sit on the front porch and watch the sunset often with my Grand Father, he would have his old "Whittler" pocket knife out making wonderful things for my older Brother and me. Small toys, miniature baseballs, bats, etc. Unfortunately, I do not have any of these magical things he made, nor do I posses his old Whittler, I do however have the memories. I can not give those vivid picture memories to my children or grand children.
You do however have the opportunity to safeguard you Grand Fathers memories and pass them on to those in you family that you think will safeguard them and not turn them for a quick dollar. The Case and Rooster collection you speak of seems to be the Top of Crop, and he made very good selections. They meant a lot to him.
Not to lecture you on your decisions of "value" but money is here today and gone tomorrow, there will always be more financial income. There will not always be more of your Grand Fathers possessions that obviously meant a lot to him.

When you get the time, please post some more pictures here on AAPK of the other knives. We all love pictures and occasional stories.
P.S. Do not want to see them on eBay. ::teary_eyes::

The two below pictures are of Jim Parker's book on Fightn Rooster Knives. ISBN number on second picture. Dated 1994. Excellent pictures and history of Mr. Frank Buster and family and the Rooster Knives up to 1994. You can still obtain this book from $20.00-$30.00

For an excellent book on "Case Cutlery" (There are many) My current favorite is "Collecting Case Knives" by Steve Pfeiffer 2nd edition 2015
ISBN-13: 978-1-4402-4499-5 http://www.krausebooks.com
Attachments
IMG_0001 (1).JPG
IMG_0002 (1).JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan

Return to “European-made knives”