Hen & Rooster Tang stamp?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
basser5

Hen & Rooster Tang stamp?

Post by basser5 »

Has anyone purchased a H&R with a China Label on it or the box it came in? I am interested to see what the tang stamp looks like. I checked SMKWs website today and the H&Rs that they are selling still have Solingen Germany stamped on the blade.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Tim
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
basser5

Re: Hen & Rooster Tang stamp?

Post by basser5 »

Well to answer my own question, i called SMKWs today and was assured that Hen and Roosters are still made in Germany, with some assembly done in Spain. No part of them being manufactured in China!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Did they happen to say who was making those knives now for Hen & Rooster?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Phil ....I did not think to ask, I was just glad they were not being produced in China.
methadoneman

Post by methadoneman »

I was placing an order to SMKW and I asked them about where a particular H&R knife was made(it was a stag stockman) . The operator told me to check back because his computer was showing it was assembled in China and the paperwork showed it was made in Germany.Who the hell knows with Frost running the company if they would even tell if they were being made in China.
gino

Post by gino »

I have always liked H&R and have heard that the steel is still being made in Germany and the knives were being put together in Spain. I heard the China thing but have never seen proof of this. The Solingen steel blades have always been one of my most favorite for a edc. They take some care but do preform well. The trouble is you hear so many rumors that a person doesnt know what the heck to believe.
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Gino...........thats what i am trying to clear up. I have looked at a lot of the newer H&Rs on Ebay and elsewhere, all of them are still stamped Solingen, Germany. To my knowledge, you will find only one country of origin stamp on a knife, thus if it had a China sticker on it, it would not have Germany stamped as well. If anyone has a H&R that is marked otherwise, please post it!

Thanks, Tim
gino

Post by gino »

Tim
Not always, check out this little "mess" I came across at a flea market a few years ago. I bought it for a buck just because of the tang markings. One tang reads American blade Chatt. Tennesse and the other tang reads made in Japan! I think your okay with the H&R though because the steel is still Solingen and its made in Germany just assembled in another country maybe.
Attachments
Picture 015.jpg
Picture 016.jpg
Picture 017.jpg
Picture 018.jpg
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Gino.. correct me if i'm wrong, but your knife only has one country of origin stamp on it (Japan). the other stamp "American blade ,Chatt. Tenn" is the company location of ownership. If it was stamped USA under that Label, then i would be confused.

Thank, Tim

By the way, cool little knife
gino

Post by gino »

Yeah your right Tim. keep me posted if you find any solid answers to the H&R situation. I carried a H&R whittler for years and am still fond of the brand so I would hate to find out bad news about them too.
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

According to the "offiical" Hen and Rosster web page http://www.henandrooster.com H&R knives are being made currently in Solingen, Germany and Toledo, Spain. To his credit, Frost states the country of origin on the web site for each individual knife pattern. Just click on the "more details" link when looking at a particular knife.
Generally speaking, it looks like the classic folders with wood, bone, and celluloid handles are still made in Germany while the fixed blade, damascus steel, and pearl handled folders are made in Spain. (your mileage may vary of course... :) )
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
gino

Post by gino »

Thanks Blue
singin46

Post by singin46 »

I feel that there has always been some cloudiness concerning this brand so, for this reason, I stay away from them totally. To each his own but buyer beware, SMKW has not always been, (in recent years anyway) all that thorough with the information they give out.
Love all Jacks
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Hey blue, thanks for the link ::tu::

Perry.... i have a few of them, they are very well made knives. I just have not bought any new ones yet. ::shrug::
gino

Post by gino »

Singin, I own a round a dozen or so H&R and never had a problem with any. Well made quality knives. You should give one a try. ;) I carried a H&R whittler for a bunch of years.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Well if I was grab one I would have to check with you guys first so I didn't get the wrong kind I guess.
Love all Jacks
basser5

Post by basser5 »

C'mon Perry,..........doesn't this deserve a little lov'n? ::tounge::
Attachments
002.JPG
methadoneman

Post by methadoneman »

If u notice the new h&r boxes dont say made in Germany on them anymore.They say soligen steel.there is no such thing as soligen steel.Even on the tv show they used to say made in germany every 10 sec when selling a h&r knife but they dont mention it anymore.They are one of my fav brands but I'm afraid of em till I know for sure their not china knives.
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Meth, .........I have seen some of the new boxes without Germany printed on them. The ones i found that way have "Spain" printed on the back of the blade. I have yet to find one with a china sticker or no country of origin stamped on the blade (meaning it had a china sticker) ::shrug:: So, I think its best to make sure you can see the tang stampings when purchasing a new H&R
gino

Post by gino »

methadoneman wrote:They say soligen steel.there is no such thing as soligen steel.
Of course Solingen steel is steel made in the city of Solingen Germany. I have many different knives other than H&R marked Solingen steel???
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

gino wrote:Tim
Not always, check out this little "mess" I came across at a flea market a few years ago. I bought it for a buck just because of the tang markings. One tang reads American blade Chatt. Tennesse and the other tang reads made in Japan! I think your okay with the H&R though because the steel is still Solingen and its made in Germany just assembled in another country maybe.
Yep,that was a Parker made in Seki,Japan in the mid 1980s I have the AB-22 but I cant find the pic right now.
"Sometimes the best part of a knife was the hunt",PK
" Fēng xiàng zhuàn biàn shí, yǒu rén zhú qiáng, yǒu rén zào fēng chē!"
"When the wind of change blows some build walls while others build windmills!"
transferguy

Post by transferguy »

Purchased a kitchen set of H&R knives and the knives have no German stamp. The box says made in China. I have contacted Frost and Cutlery Corner where I made the purchase with no response so far. I thought I was purchasing German made knives. If they were made in China I will be very disappointed. They look like very well built knives but I don't like the China thing.

Larry
basser5

Post by basser5 »

transferguy wrote:Purchased a kitchen set of H&R knives and the knives have no German stamp. The box says made in China. I have contacted Frost and Cutlery Corner where I made the purchase with no response so far. I thought I was purchasing German made knives. If they were made in China I will be very disappointed. They look like very well built knives but I don't like the China thing.

Larry

They are more than likely Hen and Rooster International...Made in China.
transferguy

Post by transferguy »

Yes, they say Hen & Rooster International. Not what I expected when I purchased them. A little disappointed. If I had known they were made in China I would not have bought them. Need to do more checking in the future. They do look like quality knives though.
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

It is quite a problem with those "internationally" made knives from Solingen or the USA! They may have a better fit and finish, the may use quality stainless steel and they may even be cheaper pricewise -
the one thing they still lack is - SOUL! ::shrug:: ::shrug:: ::shrug::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!

Return to “European-made knives”