ROLAND UPDATE

There are times in each of our lives that rain falls, hard times come and it helps to reach out to our friends and to our God for a little support. This is the place to express those needs, concerns and situations so others in the AAPK family can keep you in their prayers.
RalphAlsip

Re: ROLAND UPDATE

Post by RalphAlsip »

As evidenced by numerous previous posts in this thread, many of we knife enthusiasts on AAPK got to know fellow member kootenay joe, also known as Roland Procter. Roland and I bonded over Northwoods knives. We were both early collectors of the brand before there was the “enthusiasm” for the knives that we see now. In the early days of Northwoods it was possible to evaluate the knives for at least several minutes, if not hours or days. Roland and I had many phone conversations about the merits of the individually pictured knives clad in mammoth and giraffe. Later, as it became impossible to buy these knives directly from the seller, our discussions would center around eBay listings.

Roland had a keen eye for a pretty knife and ended up with some extremely nice knives from both Northwoods and GEC. While I didn’t have the same eye and fast decision-making impulse as Roland, I did manage to acquire some nice ones myself. Even before Roland’s health started deteriorating, he wanted to scale back his collection to make things easier for his heirs and he graciously offered me many of his Northwoods and GEC knives which I gladly bought.

Roland and I stayed in contact through his illness. Near the end, Roland made a request of me to post a group photo of our combined Northwoods and GEC set of knives. The attached photo is me honoring this request. A single photo of a group of knives did not do justice to the appearance of the knives. It was an hours long labor of love cropping and positioning all these individual knife photos into this image. The photos of Roland came from his Facebook page. Although Roland did not get to see this final version, he did get to see a preliminary version. Like others on AAPK, my friendship with Roland began because of knives and expanded. Roland is missed.
Attachments
Roland Collage.jpg
thawk

Post by thawk »

Just in case somebody is looking for the link to Roland Procter’s obituary, here at the end of the thread. He was one of my first knife collecting friends when I started in 2007. We were good friends on both here and BladeForums. He would call me frequently with Schrade questions, and photos of his winnings. , He was a player, and won many of my eBay auctions. He shared much of his life story with me by email and messaging. He has a wealth of knowledge about life, and had very many interesting stories. My life was better for knowing Roland, and it was sure a pleasure to know him.

https://www.nelsonstar.com/obituaries/r ... d-procter/
Hal
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thank you Tom for posting Roland's obit. Much appreciated. ::handshake::

Ralph; A very nice photo of knives in honor of Roland. Well Done. ::tu::

Thawk; Thank you for the obit site and your thoughts.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

KLJ77 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:20 pmThank you Tom for posting Roland's obit. Much appreciated
::tu::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

RalphAlsip wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:19 pm As evidenced by numerous previous posts in this thread, many of we knife enthusiasts on AAPK got to know fellow member kootenay joe, also known as Roland Procter. Roland and I bonded over Northwoods knives. We were both early collectors of the brand before there was the “enthusiasm” for the knives that we see now. In the early days of Northwoods it was possible to evaluate the knives for at least several minutes, if not hours or days. Roland and I had many phone conversations about the merits of the individually pictured knives clad in mammoth and giraffe. Later, as it became impossible to buy these knives directly from the seller, our discussions would center around eBay listings.

Roland had a keen eye for a pretty knife and ended up with some extremely nice knives from both Northwoods and GEC. While I didn’t have the same eye and fast decision-making impulse as Roland, I did manage to acquire some nice ones myself. Even before Roland’s health started deteriorating, he wanted to scale back his collection to make things easier for his heirs and he graciously offered me many of his Northwoods and GEC knives which I gladly bought.

Roland and I stayed in contact through his illness. Near the end, Roland made a request of me to post a group photo of our combined Northwoods and GEC set of knives. The attached photo is me honoring this request. A single photo of a group of knives did not do justice to the appearance of the knives. It was an hours long labor of love cropping and positioning all these individual knife photos into this image. The photos of Roland came from his Facebook page. Although Roland did not get to see this final version, he did get to see a preliminary version. Like others on AAPK, my friendship with Roland began because of knives and expanded. Roland is missed.
Thank you Ralph, that is a very fitting tribute to Roland. You captured the knives he loved in a fantastic fashion. I appreciate the photos of him as well. I had only seen one picture of him and he has a beard. The obit showed a young picture of him and that was nice to see also.
He is deeply missed. It just feels like something is missing around here. It’s got me off my game quite a bit lately. I need to pull together photos of some of the knives of his that I still have, if I can do the research to distinguish the ones that he sold me and ones like them that I bought on my own, it’s a lot of knives.
Thanks again.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Add my thanks to the rest for the posting of Roland's obituary, Tom.
That is a great tribute to Roland, Ralph. Thanks for posting it.
Dan
just bob

Post by just bob »

Locally it is very common for an obituary to include a charity the deceased supported and ask that donations be directed there in lieu of flowers. It would have been almost impossible for any of us to have sent flowers or even condolences to the family. Roland's 0bituary contained no information at all on his final wishes. I sent out a few emails and this in the only response I've received. I thought I would share it.

Hi Bob,

I was forwarded your email from Nelson Hospice saying that they had no contact with Roland and asked if we had worked with him.

The answer is yes. It was though the Nelson End of Life Society. We are a non-profit society that helps the dying and their caregivers navigate the end of life transitions. Here is the link to our site: https://www.nelsociety.org/

Our volunteer Joe, supported Roland in the last few months of his life. She helped him complete his paperwork, took him to his appointments and offered support throughout his journey.

Our Society fund raises and relies on donations to be able to offer this service free of charge to our community. We all volunteer our time and are committed to helping people make meaning of their lives and their deaths.

We would be delighted to receive a donation on Roland’s behalf if that is something that you are looking to do.

Kind regards,
Sandy Joyce
Nelson End of Life Society
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Campbellclanman

Post by Campbellclanman »

Thank you for posting this up justbob, I think of Roland constantly, I wonder how his family are doing- as Roland had a younger daughter, I also wonder how his little wee dog that he loved so much is doing as well!

I get extremely sad thinking of the end, Roland having to say good bye to his wee dog - that would have been that hardest thing in the world to do.

Take care all

Duncan
wlf

Post by wlf »

I would just like to know how many knives Roland bought in his life.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

wlf wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:58 pm I would just like to know how many knives Roland bought in his life.
He told me once that he had purchased over 10,000 knives. Hope I am remembering that correctly. Seems like an awful lot. He also told me how much he had spent on knives, but I won’t share that number.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
wlf

Post by wlf »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:20 pm
wlf wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:58 pm I would just like to know how many knives Roland bought in his life.
He told me once that he had purchased over 10,000 knives. Hope I am remembering that correctly. Seems like an awful lot. He also told me how much he had spent on knives, but I won’t share that number.
I know he spent his retirement, when he sold knives , I believe he actually was using that money for expenses.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

wlf wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:23 pmI know he spent his retirement, when he sold knives , I believe he actually was using that money for expenses.
I only frequent the hallways of AAPK so I didn't know Roland until he arrived on the scene here on Monday January 11, 2016. Over the years I purchased 405 knives from Roland and all but a small handful were sold in my AAPK store and at shows. I too believe that I heard the number 10,000 knives at one point in our friendship but the total he spent wasn't as important to him as the enjoyment he received from researching.

I have 2 scenarios that portray the quintessential Roland. The first happened on Thanksgiving Day 2017 when I received a phone call from Roland asking if I needed any more knives. At this point, I had bought about 40 knives from Roland. We talked for a while about what I was looking for and he was genuinely interested in making sure that I got exactly what I was looking for, nothing less. After we came to an agreement on quantity and price I asked him why he had solicited me and that normally I would call him with a shopping list of what I was looking for. He said winter had arrived and his tires were bald and the proceeds would keep him mobile without tapping into other sources. I sent the funds which included a small amount for Christmas gifts for his young daughter. His appreciation never wanned.

The second happened around Easter 2018 when we had just moved into our home in Delaware. Roland had sent 2 boxes of knives, each about 20 pounds, to our old Maryland address by mistake and USPS said they were delivered. I contacted the people that bought our Maryland home and they knew nothing about 2 small boxes that totaled 40 pounds. I contacted the Postmaster in Maryland and things started to point to Customs in Canada. Roland was panicked that the knives were confiscated at the border and had zero concern for the dollar loss but only for the fact that I was expecting knives that I might never get. In time both boxes safely arrived but we communicated daily for a couple of weeks like 2 kids waiting for Mad Magazine to show up at the pharmacy.

He was a great man that taught me a lot about human nature, caring, and compassion. When I think of Roland I think of a man that rounded third at full speed and dove into home plate under the catcher's glove to win the game - who could ask for anything more?
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Campbellclanman

Tom, what a great post about Roland!

Lyle I too was told by Roland he had at the peak around 10 thousand Knives.

Toms memories about his conversations and Roland's amazing etiquette of his need for the buyer to be extremely happy with the purchase, I too at times was told that he was selling knives to fund this or that- and hey- they were his Knives and we too will be at a time that we will sell our knives to fund certain things, Roland also said to me that he didn't want his family to have to go through the task of trying to deal with his collection of not knowing too much about them.

Roland and I spent time talking about his life, his family, his health, his wonderful property - it sounds like he had a great circle of friends here in AAPK, the things I read make me smile when everyone here talks the nice things of Roland, it's an absolute pleasure having to have been lucky enough to know Roland and its an absolute pleasure to read your very kind thoughts of Roland and your close friendships that so many of you had, there is a very good bunch of people here. ::tu::
Campbellclanman

oops double post sorry :oops:
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Funny he told me how many knives he had owned and that he keep good records on all he had, I have trouble with knowing where a certain knife came from after 2 weeks and I only have a couple hundred in my store and a couple hundred I have in my collection.
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jamieinwv
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Always enjoyed his post he will be missed.
Campbellclanman

I think of Roland quite a lot, I wish I was closer to him - but I couldn't have been further away here in new Zealand.

I miss calling him and e-mailing.

I hope Roland is at peace and that new journeys are ahead of him.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Campbellclanman wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:18 pm I think of Roland quite a lot, I wish I was closer to him - but I couldn't have been further away here in new Zealand.

I miss calling him and e-mailing.

I hope Roland is at peace and that new journeys are ahead of him.
::tu:: He was a great guy to chat with and he knew a lot about knives. At least he knew a lot more than I do. I sent him a number of PM whenever I had knife questions & he always went out of his way to give me a good answer to my questions. I have often thought of him & I miss him as well. ::nod::

I'm not much for calling or mailing but feel free to drop me a PM here anytime you like. I enjoy chatting with other knifers. ::tu:: ::handshake::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!

Return to “The Upper Room Forum”