Tin sign

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
313 Mike

Tin sign

Post by 313 Mike »

Whenever I go to flea markets I always rummage through the reproduction tin signs, looking for knife related ones. Here is a Remington knife sign I found about7 or 8 years ago. The artwork is pretty cool, and very detailed, with the logger trying to save his fellow, who is trapped beneath the falling log...utililizing his trusty Remington pocket knife of course!
Attachments
20221115_140438.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Beavertail

Re: Tin sign

Post by Beavertail »

That's a very nice sign! ::tu::
I use to love to go to flea markets but there's not many left around here anymore.
I remember going to them back in the 70's and 80's and could find some really good stuff there.
Tim
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Thanks Beavertail. There aren't as many flea markets here as there used to be either, but I usually manage to make it to ,2 or 3 every summer. Rarely find any good knives though unfortunately, and those I do find are beat and and way overpriced, or imported cheapos.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

I use to go to one in Murphy North Carolina called Deckers, in the 70's, it may still be there.
There was an old man who had Case factory displays selling them either the whole display or whatever knives you wanted.
I bought many mint 10 dot knives from him for what the price sticker had on them. Still have them.
Those days are gone forever.
Tim
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sometimes SMKW with offer reproductions of these Remington posters along with others. Very cool.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

The artwork is by artist Larry Duke. Starting in 1982 Duke was hired to make up a painting each year to represent the new reproduction Remington bullet knives that came out each year. He did a new painting each year from 82-97 (except for in 88 when an alternate artist was used).

The Lumberjack knife pattern was the 1997 artwork titled "Cut and Run"

The paintings were sold/given out as posters for those who bought the knives. At one point some of the posters were selling for $400-$700 each, as they became really hot with collectors.
Carl B.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”