Odd Remington Knife/Tool What's its purpose

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Kramersknife

Odd Remington Knife/Tool What's its purpose

Post by Kramersknife »

Hello any Remington guys know what this is for? I have heard Box Cutter but if it is why the need for such adjustable depth? I think its more of a leather cutter or something similar made specifically for a company in need of such a tool. Any info would be appreciated. Age too?
Thank you
KN
Attachments
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1095.JPG (26.39 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
IMG_8300.JPG
IMG_8299.JPG
eveled

Re: Odd Remington Knife/Tool What's its purpose

Post by eveled »

The reason for the adjustable depth is to prevent cutting thru the cardboard and into the contents.

But I agree it seems more like a leather knife to me. But why would the depth adjustment be so deep? Its much longer than cardboard or leather is thick.
Froe

Post by Froe »

Google ‘oyster knife’, select ‘images’ and look through a few pages of images. Some are very similar including the curved guard.
Froe
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Ed is correct, it is a box cutter. Many modern box cutters have adjustable length blades.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Those who are thinking it's an "oyster knife", ask yourself why Granger would stamp their company name on an oyster knife.

I have box cutters from Craftsman and Milwaukee, both have adjustable blades. When fully extended the blade on each is as long or longer than the fully extended blade on the Remington appears to be.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I agree with the box cutter assessment as well. I've seen a few of these with different company names in the handles; a couple of Grangers (haven't been able to find any info on that company), a Remington, and a Morton's Salt Co.

Eric
eveled

Post by eveled »

You couldn’t find info on Grangers? I gather you don’t think its the Granger supply house we all know and love. They opened in 1927.

A lot of knife styles became less common after the Stanley knife and other disposable blade utility knives came into use.
Kramersknife

Post by Kramersknife »

The Blade has two screw adjustment points that bring it out quite a bit further Thanks for the info Ill keep checking it just seems to complex and built to be just a box cutter and again when was tape being used regularly? In the 1950's they were still using twine to wrap up cardboard boxes... but then we had the wet tape in use also at some point. IDK?
eveled

Post by eveled »

Don’t forget the heavy boxes that were stapled together
Froe

Post by Froe »

I’m just guessing that Remington knives passed too early for this tool to be intended to split packaging tape and the blade shape doesn’t appear to me to be a great shape for actually cutting cardboard or paperboard. Maybe it could be used to pry open wooden boxes. And I don’t really know what the tool was used for, but the shape of the tool looks more useful as a oyster knife to me than a box cutter. Truthfully, I wouldn’t swear to either. I end up wrong often enough as it is.
The mark is also Granger, not Grainger which did open in ‘27. There are several Granger and Company listings in Google including ties to a seafood restaurant in Texas and curiously enough a seafood harvesting firm in Louisiana. It’s fun to investigate though.
Froe
Kramersknife

Post by Kramersknife »

My wife suggested that maybe it was made not for cardboard but canvas sacks since someone said here that he saw one with Morton salt on the handle.That seems very plausible Grain/food sacks

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”