Tang Stamp Question

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Tang Stamp Question

Post by tvic »

If an early Remington knife has the “Remington UMC” In a circle on one blade and “Remington UMC” with the “Made in the USA” outside the circle on the other blade - does that mean one of the blades must have been replaced at some point or is that normal? And which blade tang determines when it was made?
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Tang Stamp Question

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It’s always possible that a blade might have been changed. However “Waste not, want not” is a common truism for cutleries. It’s not unusual for any cutlery to have produced knives mixing older blades from inventory with newer blades. They weren’t going to throw perfectly good blades in the garbage just because they changed the stamp used in manufacturing of new blades.

And therein lies the answer to your second question. The manufacturing date coincides with the newer blade.

It may help to remember also that prior to the 1970s or thereabouts, knife collecting wasn’t a popular hobby like it is today. Knives were made as tools - nobody cared, or paid any attention, that blades in a knife had mismatched stamps. ::tu::

That’s a generic answer to your question. A picture of the knife in question might change it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Good answer, Ken! Makes sense to me.Thanks for the info! ::tu::

This is the one that raised the question
Attachments
EE266085-7302-4EC6-A98D-E552322E056E.jpeg
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

Tim, very difficult to grade without having the knife in my hand but it appears the main blade is original to the knife but the pen blade appears to be an add on. I believe it is the correct size and style but the stamp looks to be an after thought. I reiterate, without looking at the actual knife in hand a firm call can’t be made. I will tell you, great little knife and a rare example. I looked for years to find mine in near mint condition and have only seen a handful of this knife no matter the condition. Take care, John
John
pearlroosterman

Tim, look at the topic on the Remington AAPK, My Remingtons, go to page 19 and on the last picture you will see my knife that we are discussing.
John
pearlroosterman

The more I look at it, I believe it is correct.
John

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”