1891 Remington two blade-ID needed

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
mdpmedia1

1891 Remington two blade-ID needed

Post by mdpmedia1 »

Hi,

I picked up this oldie at an auction.

I'm pretty new to the vintage Remingtons and even more so when I could not find the tang stamps on any of your photos on this website.

I'd like opinions on any aspect of this knife: history, material, style, model and descriptions/meanings of both numbers on the ends of the knife.
1891 Remington 2 hojas - atras con hojas abierto 3 de 8.JPG
Attachments
1891 Remington 2 hojas - atras con hojas cerrados 2 de 8.JPG
1891 Remington 2 hojas - con 139 o 189        5 de 8.JPG
1891 Remington 2 hojas - con 1891           6 de 8.JPG
1891 Remington 2 hojas - frente con hojas abierto 4 de 8.JPG
1891 Remington 2 hojas - frente con hojas cerrados 1 de 8.JPG
1891 Remington 2 hojas - tang stamp logo on hoja grande 8 de 8.JPG
1891 Remington 2 hojas - tang stamp logo on hoja pequena       7 de 8.JPG
Ridgegrass

Re: 1891 Remington two blade-ID needed

Post by Ridgegrass »

Can't be 1891. Didn't start branding knives until late 1919. Check the "Knife Q and A" threads for stampings and dates. Sweet piece! J,O.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

A Remington stamp without UMC is after 1933 when they were made under DuPont. So your knife is after that and, they were gone by 1940 to Pal Blade Co. So there's your "range". Hope that helps. J,O'. "
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

MDP: Don't want to knock your knife but, while I'm no Remington expert, I've never seen one with bolsters like that. The shield area appears burned and the wear on the jigging is very odd. It looks like a neat old piece but I'm just not sure. Is there a pattern number like R???3 on the reverse tang? Do the blades fit well ? Could be remade or cobbled from other parts. Just my opinion. J.O'.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

The front bone is not original.
Roger
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Peanut: How about that bolster with the engraving? Remington? J.O'.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I'm thinking the numbers stamped on the rear bolsters may have some other meaning, but I have no idea what they might represent. But, I would love to hear what the Remington experts think. Maybe better to move this one to the Remington forum?
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:48 pm Peanut: How about that bolster with the engraving? Remington? J.O'.
J.O., the nice lady at Somerset Choice Station told me to say hi to you. I scarfed up a bunch of nice knives the other day. (She had no idea what they were.) :D
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

The number was added,not original to the knife.
Roger
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Somebody liked carrying the knife and from the front side it has been rehandled, the number on the bottom bolster means nothing except to the person who put it on it. Sharpen it, slap it in your pocket because the main blade has great carbon steel and will get super sharp and hold an edge ::tu::

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”