R718 2 Blade Pruner

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

R718 2 Blade Pruner

Post by JohnR »

I don't recall seeing very many American made 2 blade pruners, most I have seen have been English. Found this Remington R718 with just Remington UMC tang stamp, no USA, has some blade loss but still tight and snappy.
Attachments
IMG_2467.jpeg
IMG_2470.jpeg
IMG_2474.jpeg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: R718 2 Blade Pruner

Post by edge213 »

JohnR wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:43 pm I don't recall seeing very many American made 2 blade pruners, most I have seen have been English. Found this Remington R718 with just Remington UMC tang stamp, no USA, has some blade loss but still tight and snappy.
Interesting knife.
I agree you don't see many with 2 blades.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Great find John ::tu::
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

David, Keith, thank you ::tu:: ::tu::
Lostvalley

Post by Lostvalley »

Neat knife. Have not seen that pattern before.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice hawkbill John ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Excellent point about the 2 blades - not sure I have seen one either though perhaps M&G made one - have to go back and access their horticultural knife catalog - available on Knife Magazine website under archived catalogs... Be cool if you can post that in the horticultural thread under Knife Lore - be a good example to archive there for the future knife addicts :) ...

Post by cody6268 »

You've got the Loom Fixer with Sheepsfoot/Pen and the Coast Guard Raft Knife with sheepsfoot/can opener, but that's about it in that frame. I have never before seen anything like that before.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

LongBlade wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:41 pm Nice hawkbill John ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Excellent point about the 2 blades - not sure I have seen one either though perhaps M&G made one - have to go back and access their horticultural knife catalog - available on Knife Magazine website under archived catalogs... Be cool if you can post that in the horticultural thread under Knife Lore - be a good example to archive there for the future knife addicts :) ...
cody6268 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:43 pm You've got the Loom Fixer with Sheepsfoot/Pen and the Coast Guard Raft Knife with sheepsfoot/can opener, but that's about it in that frame. I have never before seen anything like that before.

Thank you Lee, I will put it in that thread also. I am wondering with the early tang stamp that it may not have been in the catalog that long.

Cody, when I was trying to find information on this knife I could only find 1 other example on the internet.
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

JohnR, if you happen to have a copy of Remington Cutlery #1 catalog you will see a very informative page illustrating the R718. Sorry the catalog has no page numbers. The page is in the back. Hope this helps. John
John
pearlroosterman

16D7907C-7B30-4802-AE6C-97CA39136628.jpeg
John
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

pearlroosterman wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:38 pm JohnR, if you happen to have a copy of Remington Cutlery #1 catalog you will see a very informative page illustrating the R718. Sorry the catalog has no page numbers. The page is in the back. Hope this helps. John
Thank you John, appreciate the catalog scan. I would guess that being catalog #1 that it is from the very beginning of Remington knives.
pearlroosterman

Yes, my understanding printed about the time the plant opened.others can be more precise . I have collected knives over50 years but I have very limited knowledge in the history of The catalogs and print material. Some of the guys are real experts in the dates of manufacture and when marketing material was used, etc..., take care, John
John

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”