Those were the days

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Those were the days

Post by Ripster »

Thought I would share these with All U Remington folks . Was at farmers market ,so stopped by favorite Antique shop ,she had saved these. Kind of cool. Just think what that was like? I am going to invent a time machine, anyone want to go with ..LOL take care
Attachments
9151C18A-AD72-41C5-80E1-E561AE95790F.jpeg
673ED56C-A17A-4DC2-8FA4-CB09E56F1AC2.jpeg
JP
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Those were the days

Post by edge213 »

Looks fun...I'll go !
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

How far back are you going? :roll:
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I posted this on the other post you made, but it belongs here too.

Wonderful old ads. I too, being a setter man, love that dog! The model 10 in the ad isn't bad either although I'd prefer a model 17. I'd take any of those knives.

But that man's hunting outfit takes the cake, very stylish.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cudgee wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:02 am How far back are you going? :roll:
That boy pointing at knife , that could be one of us!! Just gotta decide if we’re going to tell any of the Schrade ,Robeson, etc ,etc. folks .Not sure if we got enough seats ??
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:32 am
cudgee wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:02 am How far back are you going? :roll:
That boy pointing at knife , that could be one of us!! Just gotta decide if we’re going to tell any of the Schrade ,Robeson, etc ,etc. folks .Not sure if we got enough seats ??
You'll have to have a ballot to secure a seat. ::ds::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Those were the days indeed. Look at the storefront in the second ad. Can you imagine a display window (or even a store) like that today? Guns and knives on full display for sale, in a window right there on the street! In full view of - gasp! - children! ::woot::

We can’t have that. Not in today’s politically correct (in other words, censored) world. Why, someone might discover they are inanimate objects!

::uc::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:35 am Those were the days indeed. Look at the storefront in the second ad. Can you imagine a display window (or even a store) like that today? Guns and knives on full display for sale, in a window right there on the street! In full view of - gasp! - children! ::woot::

We can’t have that. Not in today’s politically correct (in other words, censured) world. Why, someone might discover they are inanimate objects!

::uc::

Ken
Ken , I take it U want a seat on the time machine ? Yes to have been growing up then ,even with the depression, it was a great country .that was the evening newspaper too. That don’t happen in today’s news. Can’t remember when the last time I saw A gun or Cutlery commercial!!!!!
JP
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Those ads are older than any of us here. The gent looks like he was outfitted by Ambercrombie & Fitch. I like old Filson mackinaw jackets but i don't recognize his hunting jacket as a Filson pattern, but it could be, if not A&F.
Even when i was a kid in the 1950's things were not too different from what these ads show. But now, nothing is the same except for hunting itself.
Walking slowly, alone through the bush or wilderness area still gives one the same 'special' feeling as it did then.
Bow season here opens in about 6 weeks time. Deer are still on their summer 'lolligag' behaviour, relaxed, easier to get close to.
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

The world had not long come out of the Spanish Flu Epidemic when that newspaper was printed. October 17. 1925, how everything changes, but some things stay the same.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cudgee wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:26 am The world had not long come out of the Spanish Flu Epidemic when that newspaper was printed. October 17. 1925, how everything changes, but some things stay the same.
Maybe when this Covid thing is behind us, times will be like that again ?? One can dream
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:37 pm
cudgee wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:26 am The world had not long come out of the Spanish Flu Epidemic when that newspaper was printed. October 17. 1925, how everything changes, but some things stay the same.
Maybe when this Covid thing is behind us, times will be like that again ?? One can dream
I Wish. ::hmm::

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”