Remington pocketknife identification

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
FMC

Remington pocketknife identification

Post by FMC »

I have an older Remington that I can't identify and was wondering if anyone has ever seen this knife. The tang stamp dates the knife in the 30's. Handles appear to be celluloid with a standing bear. Seminar to an electrician's knife. Thanks for any information about this knife.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
espn77

Re: Remington pocketknife identification

Post by espn77 »

I gave you my opinion the other night, be interesting to hear what other guys think.
clockman

Post by clockman »

Hello, FMC , clockman here. I'm no remington expert but i have quite a few original rems and your knife i believe is not an original remington. Tang stamp does not look original to me and i've never seen that blade combination on an original remington. Welcome to AAPK. Randy
clockman

Post by clockman »

also handle material is not old remington either.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK.

I can’t Identify it either. Except to say it’s not that old and I doubt it’s a Remington.

They didn’t make designs like that in celluloid, and nothing like that in the 1930’s. Pictures on paper were put on knives under clear celluloid, but no drawings were made in celluloid, just random swirls and glitter etc. That’s a modern-made product. I haven’t seen any clip blades like that one on any Remington knife.

Don’t feel bad, most of us who have been collecting long have bought worse.

Ken.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

As it was mentioned earlier, we have all bought knives that turn out to be not quite right. Unfortunately this is one of those knives. Not sure what it is but it is not a authentic antique Remington. Take care, John
John
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Very interesting and creative knife! I thinking that perhaps, it may have been created out of an electrician knife. :shock:
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
FMC

Post by FMC »

Thanks to everyone for your help with this knife identification. Live and learn.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

We definitely all have knives, we wouldn't have bought..."If I'd only known". ::facepalm::
One thing I can say for sure, is, you can take Keith's (ESPN77) advice, to the bank. If there was ever a private collection of knives, I'd like to see in person...it would be his collection of Remington knives! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”