Repair advice

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Repair advice

Post by geocash »

I'd like to know who you would want to replace the master blade in this knife if it was yours?
Remington RB44 Barlow 1935 to 1940
Remington RB44 Barlow 1935 to 1940
I think the knife is well made & in good condition except for the reprofiled master blade which I have decided I don't like, otherwise I'd be carrying it a lot more. Maybe I should buy another one but this one is already paid for & one I want might leave me an amputee. I don't believe it would cost an arm & a leg to have a full blade put in the one I have. Your knowledge would be appreciated.
geocash
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Repair advice

Post by treefarmer »

geocash, since you asked "if were yours", I would leave it alone. My thoughts come from my experience with several big Case 75s. Both have the clip blades reprofiled, one very similar to your Remington and the other looks like a sheep foot or maybe a Warncliffe and they both work very well for me.
For an EDC why change it unless it's length effects the use of the knife? On the other hand if the knife has a sentimental connection maybe it would be better to have a replacement blade to make it feel "complete"? ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

How do you intend it to be repaired? That is, do you currently have a replacement blade that you want someone to put into it? Or are you looking for someone who has a blade for it? Or someone who can make a blade and install it?

Many possibilities, and based on your expectations may help decide who can do the work. My questions are more rhetorical - go to the knife mechanics forum viewforum.php?f=37 or viewforum.php?f=38 and have a look at the work done by the knife mechanics who are members here. Then you can decide one or more you like and send them a PM requesting quotes.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Ken has given you good advice above. The problem I frequently encounter is finding a replacement blade that will fit properly and match the rest of the knife. If you can find a suitable replacement blade or a "donor" knife with the exact same blade, there are many who post on the Knife Repair and Customization forum that can do the transplant for you. Keep in mind that manufacturers sometimes make subtle changes to the blades over time, so I sometimes run into a blade from a later version of the same knife that won't fit properly. Or, if you are lucky, someone here will have the exact blade you need, so I would recommend a post on the knife mechanic's swap forum. Just my 2 cents. :)
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I would leave it as is also. It is going to be a problem to find a Remington blade to replace yours. If you do find a donor knife, what if the donor knife is better than the one you have? It wouldn't make sense to take the blade out of a better knife and and install in yours. Might as well just use the better knife. I have several Remingtons with broken blades that I have been looking for a donor for years. And if you have a new blade made, obviously it will not be tang stamped Remington and then the knife will lose its identity (not so much with yours as it has Remington on the bolster). Lots of things to consider.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

Thanks Treefarmer. You are right. However, I'm not being practical. I think I've given myself plenty of time to adjust to the short blade & it doesn't look like that's gonna happen so I thought I'd look into making the knife adjust.

Ken, I don't have a replacement blade & I posted on this forum first hoping that Remington devotees might know mechanics who would be more likely to have a correct Remington blade or be more likely to find a correct Remington blade or fabricate a blade, less the tang stamp. I haven't seen any bad knife work posted on AAPK & I have had good work by mechanics I'd found on AAPK. Thank you, too.

herbva, your advice is worth more than 2 cents & OLDE CUTLER, your experience looking for the right blades is something I needed to hear. My pipe dream was finding an identical knife with everything busted except the master blade. Like I said at the start, I'm not being practical.

Thanks everybody.
geocash
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Good luck geocash. It looks like you have thought this out. I could
imagine that this blade bugs you so I hope you can get it replaced.

Bob
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I got one too, it's a ole toter hok, shore fits good in the watch pocket and is some more sharp. It can't help it that it's a little short. Just leave it be and learn to love it. It may think you've got some flaws. Who knows. :lol: ::handshake::
Attachments
20191120_152832.jpg
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

bighomer wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:54 pm I got one too, it's a ole toter hok, shore fits good in the watch pocket and is some more sharp. It can't help it that it's a little short. Just leave it be and learn to love it. It may think you've got some flaws. Who knows. :lol: ::handshake::
Well said!

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”