9500 Remington finishing

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
tallguy606

9500 Remington finishing

Post by tallguy606 »

Just got a new-in-the-blister-pack Remington (Camillus) barlow with the green/yellow sawcut handles. I now have 5 of the 9500 series knives - two 9501 stockmans, the smaller two-bladed jack, the barlow, and a trapper. I noticed the back of the barlow and the trapper are very rough, as if no effort at all was put into smoothing all the liners and springs. They are uneven, like after the assembly was riveted together, that was it, done. On the two 9501s and the jack, the back of the knife is much more finished and smoother, although still far from the slick, polished finish on the back of a Case, for example. I wonder why the variation? Maybe the rough specimens were last-ditch products before Camillus went under?

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”