How High Will It Go? - Baby Bullet R4466

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

How High Will It Go? - Baby Bullet R4466

Post by 1967redrider »

Happened to catch this on the 'Bay, I wonder how much it will end up selling for? I find it a little odd that so much of the etch remains on what appears to be a well used blade. ::hmm:: Could be my own paranoid issues. ::mdm::

*edit- not my knife, not bidding

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Origin ... 261cb0da23
Attachments
Remington R4466.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
espn77

Re: How High Will It Go? - Baby Bullet R4466

Post by espn77 »

That's my knife. The older/earlier, Remington knives had very deep etches in them. Very difficult to rub them completely off.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Good luck with that one Keith. It looks like it is headed in the right direction. ::handshake::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

espn77 wrote:That's my knife. The older/earlier, Remington knives had very deep etches in them. Very difficult to rub them completely off.
Good to know and way better than the inked etching that is widespread on today's knives. ::tu:: ::tu::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Other than seeing a grinder up close and personal,the knife is right.Keith is correct,the etches were/are usually deep on Remingtons.Hard to find bullet in any condition. ::tu::
Roger
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

Nice R4466 and a rare opportunity for someone trying to put together a full bullet collection. As most know, these are hard to find. A good buy for someone at any price up to around $1,500. Extremely nice stag.
John
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I don't know what the original blade profiles were but it looks like both blades are down by 20% or more ? I am asking for my own education. 'Reading' blade loss is something i don't do well.
thanks, kj
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote:I don't know what the original blade profiles were but it looks like both blades are down by 20% or more ? I am asking for my own education. 'Reading' blade loss is something i don't do well.
thanks, kj
My perception is that the muskrat clip blade is noticeably short and down some from the edge grinding. In my observation the clip blade being short is very common for this pattern. The spey blade appears sharpened with no obvious blade loss to me. Relative to what is available for this pattern, the condition of this example is pretty good. The condition of the blade etch is a positive differentiator for this knife.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks RA. I am not trying to disparage this knife, just using to try to improve my skills at reading blades.
The spey looks to have a wide edge grind particularly towards the tip. I was interpreting this as indicating some blade loss as increased thickness of blade(as you get closer to spine) yields wider edge grind.
kj
espn77

Post by espn77 »

If you look at the straight down picture it is a pretty good indicator of how much blade loss has occurred. The knife is by no means mint. Its been used and sharpened poorly. I try to take straight on pictures to show exactly what the knife is and explain blade play and snap. I receive very few questions on my knives I sell. I try to represent the knives threw photos and descriptions as best I can. I dont say much about condition (as my definition might be different than others) other that chips or cracks. Figure that's what the photos are for?? Curious if you guys agree with my theory on how I list my knives?
If I didn't already have this knife I'd have no problem it representing the R4466 in my collection.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sold for $1,957, congrats! ::handshake::

Drinks are on espn77. :mrgreen:

peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

1967redrider wrote:Sold for $1,957, congrats! ::handshake::

Drinks are on espn77. :mrgreen:
I'll drink to that! :D
Roger
espn77

Post by espn77 »

It did pretty good. A guy can't be disappointed in the outcome.
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

Nice sale!
We both did well on the example in your collection.
Still looking for other rarities.
I have the R3243 I posted earlier if you are interested.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Congrats Keith, that's a lot of dough!
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”