R 6816 Wow !

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
RalphAlsip

Re: R 6816 Wow !

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote:Do you agree that some of the etches that look a little off could have come from the factory that way ? kj
Roland, philosphically, I agree that the knife manufacturing processes in place in the 1920's would yield variances in finished products due the manual nature of those processes. The repeatability of the same person from one etch to the next would vary and the repeatability of 2 different people making etches would likely vary even more. I would also agree that a person re-etching a blade 50 or more years later would produce variances to the original specification.

Practically, I have no idea of the root cause for the appearance any of the etches in the pictures I used.

With regard to etches being worn off, inked on etches would easily be worn off. However some Remington etches are etched into the blade and won't wear off easily. I would expect that aggressive buffing could remove the in the blade etching.

The 2 pictures below represent what I believe the in-the-blade etches are supposed to look like and, in my opinion, reflect the attention to detail, elegance, and precision of craftsmen who took pride in their work.
Attachments
Remington Standard Etches.jpg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

wlf wrote:
Thanks Jerry, Keith, and Roger. You all should weigh in on the pressed stag conversation. :)
I think this is as hard of a knife as there is to judge off of pictures. I could never buy this knife without holding it. The stag to me looks to be Remington stag. Pinning and finish can't be evaluated in a picture. I'm of a mind to think the knife is right only based on who owns it. The owner has an amazing high end Remington collection. That doesn't 100% guarantee a knives authenticity but it gives it a good start.
Lyle, I think you see us avoiding the question about the stag because we hate to call a mans knife not right without good tangible evidence. I'd love to hold that knife. Don't imagine he would send it to me to look it over????
wlf

Post by wlf »

Sorry Keith, I derailed the thread. I was talking about the Parker and Field knife handle material Roland had. I value the opinion of the ones commenting on this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=49400&start=15

I should have started another thread there, considering the interest. My question and knowledge of Remingtons doesn’t extend beyond what little knowledge I have of farmers jacks.

My only concern in this type of topic is, if you can’t tell the difference in originality without in depth forensics, well......?
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"My only concern in this type of topic is, if you can’t tell the difference in originality without in depth forensics, well......?"

Well, you don't stop trying to ID etches that are not original. With some experience likely you can ID most of them. If the occasional re-etch does get into your collection, or anyone's collection, this is just how it is with all collectibles, including old paintings that are worth millions of dollars.
kj
bigjohn1943

Post by bigjohn1943 »

I own the R 6816 being discussed. The knife is totally authentic as advertised and represented. I've been privileged to own the best over the years in Remington, Case and what piqued my interest. As to the discussion on Remington etches, Remington produced knives that had no etch, had an acid etch and black ink etches as well. The etches can vary. I have three Remington mint R 1123 Bullets that are interesting. The spear on one has the Remington Master Knife in black ink. I think later production. The second knife has spey acid etched Remington Trade Mark. Also note the saw tooth tip edge. Had to come out of the Factory like that! Third knife also has acid Remington Trade Mark on spey. So, one spear black ink 2 speys acid etched. The bottom line is you will encounter variations. A variation doesn't mean the knife is not genuine Remington production. You will find variations in the pearls and sometimes knives with no number or miss numbered. Their are obvious problem knives out there and some not so obvious. The flaws are however usually detected with knowledge and experience. I'm attaching a couple photos of etches on the 1123s quickly done for information with a full set of bullets for fun. Bottom line is that I fully stand behind any knife I sell. They are usually from my collecting over the years but at 75, I need to do some moving along. Regards to all and enjoy all the older better cutlery! John Hay
Remington etch
Remington etch
Bullets
Bullets
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I appreciate you responding John. Sure wish you would hang around and share your knowledge and pictures of your collection. ::handshake::
Keith
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

espn77 wrote:I appreciate you responding John. Sure wish you would hang around and share your knowledge and pictures of your collection. ::handshake::
Keith
Amen to that! And welcome here John - thanks for contributing to the discussion of your knife. You obviously have a great collection and knowledge we could all learn from. Most of us here on AAPK enjoy talking about, learning about, and looking at knives. Hope you'll join in and contribute now that you've at least stuck your toe in. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

Welcome aboard John, glad you joined us. John Davis
John

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”