Recent ebay sales ended 12/05/18

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
flatbedtruck

Recent ebay sales ended 12/05/18

Post by flatbedtruck »

I would like to get opinions from the Remington people or anyone else about 2 Remington knives that just ended today. The first one is a R1306 that sold for $1,037.76 and the second one is a R293 that sold for $560.00. I don't think either one of them were genuine or even close to genuine but if some of you could take a look at the closed auctions and let me know what you see I would appreciate it. Thanks
RalphAlsip

Re: Recent ebay sales ended 12/05/18

Post by RalphAlsip »

flatbedtruck wrote:I would like to get opinions from the Remington people or anyone else about 2 Remington knives that just ended today. The first one is a R1306 that sold for $1,037.76 and the second one is a R293 that sold for $560.00. I don't think either one of them were genuine or even close to genuine but if some of you could take a look at the closed auctions and let me know what you see I would appreciate it. Thanks
Are the pictures and links I’m including the same ones that you are referring to?

R293: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2841246644
D1646EE2-1538-4257-ACB7-778C4C00AE9F.png
This purported R293B is clearly wrong. The handle should be jigged bone as indicated by the “3” in R293 - not stag. The pattern number would be R296 if it were supposed to be stag. FYI, there is no R296 pattern number.

R1306: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2841250994
312723B3-649D-4C3C-96A5-E8674F0F0CF8.png
This one is also wrong. The stag is not from the 1920’s. The Bullet shield is not right.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow !
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is a yeoman's effort Mr RalphAlsip! Hunted down the pics and identified the problem. I am impressed. Good job. ::tu::
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

A fool and his money. :shock:
Roger
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Amazing! Those don't even remotely "look" Remington.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

It is really a shame the way so many are cheated on EBAY. These are two of the worst counterfeits I have ever seen. John
John
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I had sent the seller a message telling him they were not original and explained why. At first he had them listed at a high starting bid with no action then changed it to a low starting bid and the race was on. The question I wonder is who are these people who spend that kind of money and don't know about the knives. Top value at a gun show they might bring $100.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Top value at a gun show they might bring $100"
I don't get it. These are fakes, why would they bring in any money ? Surely at a gun show these would be spotted as fakes ?
kj
espn77

Post by espn77 »

kootenay joe wrote:Quote: "Top value at a gun show they might bring $100"
I don't get it. These are fakes, why would they bring in any money ? Surely at a gun show these would be spotted as fakes ?
kj
Visually they have nice stag to someone that is a gun guy but not a knife guy. Just my opinion.
flatbedtruck

Post by flatbedtruck »

First, Thanks to Ralph for including the pictures and links, my computer skills don't reach that far. Yes, those are the correct ones. What is really strange is this is the 3rd time those same 2 knives have been listed. The first time was back in late October or early November and they each sold for less than $200.00. Then just about 2 weeks ago they were listed again and I sent that seller a message that I was quite sure they were not genuine Remington knives. He said he was listing them for a good friend of his and ended up pulling both of the listings a couple of days later. Now these 2 showed up again and this is what happened. The tang stamps on both of them are so bad I can't understand how they go through like that but they did. Anyway thanks to all for the replies and again thanks for adding the pictures and links.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

As the great showman P T Barnum supposedly once said, "there's a sucker born every minute".
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

And because they sold for as much as they did, the fakes will just keep on coming.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
flatbedtruck

Post by flatbedtruck »

I just now went back and looked up the first 2 listings. The R1306 ended on Nov 8th and sold for $153.50 and the R293 ended on Nov 10th and sold for $104.25. If you look very closely at both of them you will see they are the same exact 2 knives. If Ralph or anyone wants to add those pictures and links please do so. Maybe some day I will get the kids or grand kids to teach me how to do things like that on the computer. For now the best I can do is give you this info.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

A couple of ?????? Remingtons The 293 looks to be a real frame and blades from what I can see. If it is a correct on blades, it probably should not have a pattern number as it is a HTT knife. It would be hard to find the bone for this knife, so stag works to fool some. The other knife is just bad.

Harold
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

stockman wrote:A couple of ?????? Remingtons The 293 looks to be a real frame and blades from what I can see. If it is a correct on blades, it probably should not have a pattern number as it is a HTT knife.Harold
Harold, good point regarding "no pattern number". The original does not have a pattern number. I happen to have a modern Silver Bullet Repro of the R293 and the clip blade does have the pattern number stamped. Likewise, the spear blade is stamped with the year, which on my knife is 1998.

My guess is the eBay R293 has repro blades and re-handled repro frame.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Jerry, that was my guess also. First I thought it might be a old frame and blades, but very likely a repo messed with. It would be nice to see the blades to check for pattern number. Interesting.

Harold
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Two terrible fakes. You never know with an auction and that goes double for an eBay auction. Shill bids, uneducated bidders, counterfeit and heavily reworked items. You only have to pay if you are the last bidder and you never really know what the final bidder had bid or was willing to pay. You only know he beat out the second bidder.

Oddly enough when you open the bid for the fake R1306 eBay directs you to this auction for what looks to be a very nice used and original R1306 that is priced at $975 Buy It Now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REMINGTON-UMC- ... SwfgRb2Sdm

I would think that the winner, that is actually the loser, of the fake auction might look at this real R1306 and turn up his nose.
Attachments
R1306.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”