Old Junk Remington

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Old Junk Remington

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I've got this junk Remington acorn stockman that I am going to try to drag out of the knife grave yard back to the ranks of the EDC knives. I wondered if any of the Remington collectors out there have one of these or have seen one like this? It does not have a Rxxxx number stamped anywhere on it. What would have been the original blade profile of the master blade? Probably a big clip or maybe a large spear? The secondary blade is most certainly a spey. I have a knife repair book that uses drawings of Remington knife blades as their chart of the various blade profiles made and one of them is called a Remington "clip B" that looks like it may be the one. You can see from my second picture that the double swedge ran very far back on the top of what is left of the master blade. Thanks for any assistance you may provide.
IMG_1843.JPG
IMG_1844.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
espn77

Re: Old Junk Remington

Post by espn77 »

Hard to say for sure but I would assume a clip blade.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Attachments
20171003_162316.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

What is it's length?
Roger
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

peanut740 wrote:What is it's length?
Length is 3 15/16" closed.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Sorry, I omitted some other important info. That is the bolsters are steel. Generally in Remington knives is that a sign of an older knife, or a cheaper knife? Also handles appear to be celluloid. The awl blade has the tang stamp-Remington UMC in a circle, the other two blades have the Remington UMC in the circle, and Made in USA outside the circle.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Olde Cutler, you might want to compare your knife to a R3565. The attached pictures are of a R3553 with bone handles that show pocket wear. It is the same frame as R3565, but has clip, sheepfoot, and spey instead of clip, spey, and punch with a Federal shield instead of Acorn shield. It is a comparable size to your knife and the main blade has the double swedge that you mentioned.
Attachments
Remington R3553
Remington R3553
Remington R3553
Remington R3553
espn77

Post by espn77 »

R3563
Attachments
20171228_171733.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

RalphAlsip wrote:Olde Cutler, you might want to compare your knife to a R3565. The attached pictures are of a R3553 with bone handles that show pocket wear. It is the same frame as R3565, but has clip, sheepfoot, and spey instead of clip, spey, and punch with a Federal shield instead of Acorn shield. It is a comparable size to your knife and the main blade has the double swedge that you mentioned.
Thanks for your info on the Remington R3565. The picture below is from the book I mentioned which shows the Remington "clip B" (third from top) as the likely master blade. It has the match strike pull and double swedge like your R3553.
IMG_1869.JPG
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

espn77 wrote:R3563
Thanks for your picture. That has to be very close to what mine was originally, except with bone handles. Does yours have steel bolsters?
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Yes, steal bolsters and brass liners.
Attachments
20180103_183953.jpg

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”