Remington Enters the Cutlery Field

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
supratentorial

Remington Enters the Cutlery Field

Post by supratentorial »

SrTgCV3.jpg
1jhBmMk.jpg
so7QgIY.jpg
MZRsf1O.jpg
RYllJvg.jpg
GW9tEIs.jpg
YIk96ze.jpg
nfjAWuZ.jpg
espn77

Re: Remington Enters the Cutlery Field

Post by espn77 »

Thanks for posting that here Jake. Where did you come across That?
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I too enjoyed that. They sure did go through a lot of steps to make a single pocket knife. Very labor intensive.

I especially like their "Tracer System" with the colored coded cards that would trace back to either an individual or group of workers if a quality control issue surfaced. I was thinking there had to be a way of tracking "who did what" through the process and the story answered my question. This is a very interesting post. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

espn77 wrote:Thanks for posting that here Jake. Where did you come across That?
It is one of the articles that I've saved from Google books. You can pull up some real gems that are buried deep in old trade journals. Some of the journals are more obscure than others. The American Cutler is definitely worth looking through in entirety. There are also some great articles hidden deep in trade journals about hardware, steel, etc. When searching, you can customize the date range to focus on a particular era with brand names and keywords. A lot easier than the old days of paging through archives at the library and using a xerox!!
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'm going to check it out. Thanks

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”