Remington Knife Reference Books

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
mountainad82

Remington Knife Reference Books

Post by mountainad82 »

I am new to collecting vintage Remington knives. Which Remington reference book/books would you guys recommend? I apologize if this has been covered previously.

Adam
RalphAlsip

Re: Remington Knife Reference Books

Post by RalphAlsip »

Adam, here are some reference books that I use for old Remington knives. I've learned, rather stubbornly, that I can't possibly collect everything so I try to limit my Remington interests to the Bullet knives and knives that are in very good condition. The reference material I use is more geared to identification rather than values. So that is why I prefer Remington catalogs over "authored" guides. The Remington catalogs have great pictures. I do use an authored book by Mel Brewster for the Bullet knives. There is a book by Ron Stewart and Roy Ritchie titled "Remington Knives Past and Present" that is decent.

Here are some pictures of the covers and first page.

PS: If you have not read through these 2 threads on AAPK, you really should. There are some amazing knives and commentary here that exceeds what you will find in reference books (in my opinion).

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=16665
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=16058
Attachments
Remington Bullet Knives by Mel Brewster
Remington Bullet Knives by Mel Brewster
Remington Catalog 1 circa 1920?
Remington Catalog 1 circa 1920?
Remington Catalog C30 circa 1930
Remington Catalog C30 circa 1930
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Those are all great books Jerry. Good advice. I would add a Sergent book to that. No one book that ive come across has everything in it.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Oh my... took the time to read back through these threads. WOW, what a great and beautiful display and discussion of the cutlery and history of Remington's cutlery division. Just speechless... a great catalog as Jerry stated that far super cedes the black and white reference books and none has the amazing discussion and commentary that you find in these threads...my hats off to Dimitri and all the other great men who have left an impressive legacy for the present collector and those to come. Thanks Brian for the venue of AAPK ::handshake:: ::tu::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
mountainad82

Post by mountainad82 »

Thanks everyone for the responses. Those forum threads are a wealth of knowledge! :shock:
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

The best book on Remington fixed blade knives is the one by D Y Grimm. Be sure whatever book you get to disregard the prices if the book lists them. The bottom has fallen out of many Remington knives in recent years and most will not command the price they got 5-10 years ago. Grimm does not list prices, only rarity which is a much better system to me.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Good advice from all! Here's a few more references. IMHO the old catalogs and catalog reprints are especially good. Sargent's was already mentioned, the 5th edition shown here has a Remington section filled with excellent B&W photographs. The red-bound "Catalog No. C 30" previously mentioned is a bit misleading in that it contains not only a reproduction of Catalog No. C 30 but also the bonus of reprints of vintage Remington advertising copy, letters to salesmen and retailers, etc.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Gunsil wrote:The best book on Remington fixed blade knives is the one by D Y Grimm. Be sure whatever book you get to disregard the prices if the book lists them. The bottom has fallen out of many Remington knives in recent years and most will not command the price they got 5-10 years ago. Grimm does not list prices, only rarity which is a much better system to me.
That one is a beauty, alright. Only 1000 copies were ever printed. Rarer than most of the knives.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

You are correct. This guide covers it extremely well. Here's my copy! ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_2356.JPG
IMG_2357.JPG
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I don't have that book and didn't realize it was a good one. Found a copy on eBay. It will be fun to look through. Thanks for giving the advice.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

When you can and if your lucky to buy them, the original Remington Jobbers Price lists are full of amazing info on knife production, advertising and general specifics of Remington cutlery offerings and cost. ::nod:: ::tu::

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”