Just guessing

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
MUD

Just guessing

Post by MUD »

Howdo,
I got this for my birthday last week from a friend. All that's been done since I got it was a little 3n1, a little light wipe and a lot of wondering.
From what I can figure, it's an R173 (all stamps are either very faint or non existent) from 33-40.

It's my first Remington and I'm honestly surprised.
I haven't sharpened it, don't need to
Both blades are razors. It's a cool, old, heavy, something my granddad carried. I think I might have to branch my collection out a bit now.

My buddy also got a few more knives at the yard sale (gotta start going to em), a Kutmaster and an old Case.
I'll post those on the respective pages.

If anybody has any info about it, I'd appreciate the knowledge (like I said, I'm just guessing).
Thanks for your help and have a great August!!!

[
IMG_20170812_083758227.jpg
IMG_20170812_083806251.jpg
IMG_20170812_083907305.jpg
My name is Mud,
But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie
That's long for Mud, so I've been told
MUD

Re: Just guessing

Post by MUD »

IMG_20170812_083832712.jpg
IMG_20170812_083844149.jpg
This knife is in better shape than me and I'm 30+ years younger.
My name is Mud,
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Nice old knife. It looks like a R163 to me? Does it say R173?
MUD

Post by MUD »

Well sir, you were right. Like I said, I was guessing and you made me realize... I have allot of ways to measure and make sure.
It's a R163. The stamps are barely there, I had to take a million pictures to make any of them out.
Thanks for your help
My name is Mud,

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”