I consider this moderately rare

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
thefarside

I consider this moderately rare

Post by thefarside »

Yellow handled jack knife, clip and a spey blade, no pattern number. This is the only one of these I have ever owned.
Attachments
DSCN3929[1].JPG
DSCN3930[1].JPG
kootenay joe

Re: I consider this moderately rare

Post by kootenay joe »

The only one of what ? a knife with no pattern # ?
I think the marking on your knife might be circle Remington which fits as this is the Remington forum. I have (& had) a few what i think are all original circle Remington knives with no pattern numbers.
kj
espn77

Post by espn77 »

thefarside, that is the first of that style I've seen also. Having a clip and spay, I have a couple that have a pen in the place of the spay. I couldn't find that knife in my books. Maybe someone else can find it and tell us what pattern it is.
Keith
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I have owned one like this in the past. I think it was Remington straightline stamp with no pattern number. An unusual pattern and well made for a straightline knife. Trapper blades in a regular jack frame.

This knife is shown in Sargent's 2nd edition page 383 with a Circle UMC stamp and no pattern number. May be shown in other editions as well.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
thefarside

Post by thefarside »

Wayne, interesting to find out they made this knife in the straight line stamping too. Both blades on my knife are the circle Remington style stamp, similar to Sargent's knife shown in his Vol. 2, as you noted. The knife is also shown in Sargent's Vol. 3 page 297 and Vol. 4 page 384 (in case anyone would like to look it up).
I just found the knife interesting on two fronts, the trapper style blade configuration in a jack knife (as you noted) and the lack of a pattern number. Not only no pattern number on the knife, but I couldn't find it, associated with a pattern number, in any of my books or catalogs. I truly appreciate the knife books (old and new) which show photos of knives not conventionally noted in a manufacturers historical data.
Jim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a book on Remington Knives by Stewart & Ritchie as well as Sargent's 4th & 6th editions. I have owned a number of circle Remington knives that had not been re-worked and which i could not find in these books. Or i might find it but with a different shield.
Am i correct that Remington made such a wide variety of knives that many of them do not appear in the Remington books ?
Regarding shields on Remington knives: did they use more than one shield type for the same pattern knife ? I ask because i have seen quite a few Remington knives that match the book image except for having a different shield.
kj
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

For those that have the Stewart and Ritchie Remington Knives Past and Present guide I would suggest reading pages 4 & 5 of their book paying particular attention to the preface on page 5. This will answer the guestions related to unidentified existing Remington patterns. It will also address the extensive research that was completed to compile what some refer to as part of their "Remington Cannon/Bible" on Remington patterns and Remington products.
For me it is important to also recognize and take in to account that Remington made certain guarantees. As Remington advertised those guarantees in catalogs it demonstrated the process used in manufacturing their products and how in their marketing each knife was identified not only for reorder purposes but for the general public to be assured of Remington's quality and in owning a genuine Remington product.
The early years of Remington's cutlery production, for me is undisputed. "Every" knife produced was stamped with a pattern number with the exception of "speciality" knives. It was only in the transition years when DuPont had production control did knives become ambiguous with regard to stamping, inking or use of cost saving measures to off set the economic struggles during The Great Depression.
In saying this, I believe your knife is a Remington but most likely produced in the early, mid or late 1930's of the Remington DuPont era based on research information available and personal collection experience. It is also possible that it was an early knife but a production speciality knife made for a company at their request and specifications which Remington advertised having the capabilities of producing. Only the "Shadow Knows "!
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

[quote="kootenay joe"

Regarding shields on Remington knives: did they use more than one shield type for the same pattern knife ? I ask because i have seen quite a few Remington knives that match the book image except for having a different shield.
kj[/quote]

I think they did make the same pattern with different shields. I also have seen knives that match the book except for
the shield

Harold
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Harold.
kj

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”